Lake Mendocino birds 11/15

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- Cheryl Watson, Geoff Heinecken, Barbara and I went to the dam parking lot at the south end of Lake Mendocino early this morning for some casual birding. We saw a good variety of gulls...well, good for Lake Mendocino, but not so good for Lake County. In the immediate area of the parking lot, among dozens of CALIFORNIA GULLS, we found single adult and first-winter HERRING GULLS, a first-winter THAYER'S GULL (seen several days ago by George Chaniot), and a first-winter GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL. Out over the lake there was an adult BONAPARTE'S GULL. An adult BALD EAGLE was unsuccessfully strafing a large group of Coots. A flock of 36 SNOW GEESE, including a dark morph bird, circled the lake briefly before leaving directly east towards Clear Lake.

Chuck

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA 95482

cevaughn@pacific.net