Ukiah Blk-crn'd Night Herons-Yes, BUT Hooded Merganser Pond Drained

Karen Havlena <jkhavlena@...>

Fri, 14 Nov 2008 - This afternoon, Jim and I could see 2+ Black-crowned
Night Herons in the redwoods at Yosemite & Washo in Oak Manor. Park
on Pomo and look into the trees. This is east of Hwy 101, south of Perkins
and north of Gobbi.
Then, we drove down to Talmage, and continued .6 mile down Old River Rd
to the large pond with signs for Beckstoffer & Mendocino Vineyard Co.
We had hoped to see returning Hooded Mergansers. But NO, the pond was
almost completely drained !!
RFI - If anyone sees Hooded Mergansers on other MEN County ponds or
at Lk Mendocino, could you please report their location?  Thanks very much.

Karen Havlena