Lesser Black-backed Gull Continues

George Chaniot

Wed, 05 Nov 2008 -- This morning Cheryl Watson, Larry Petrie, and I observed
the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Austin Park in the city of Clearlake. It
was sitting at the water's edge on the beach with a group of California
Gulls and Bonaparte's Gulls - a nice view at good range. We had it under
observation from 11:05 to 11:35 at which time it was flushed by a boat and
flew off to the east in the direction of Redbud Park.
Earlier, Cheryl and I searched from 9:00 to 11:00 starting at the
landfill at the end of Davis Street. They would not let us in even if we
paid, so we walked up Quackenbush Road a short way and scoped from there.
Next we went to Wal-Mart where there were several hundred gulls on the roof
- no luck. Thirdly we went to Redbud Park where there were many gulls on the
water and on the docks. There we found two HEERMANN'S GULLS on the water
among California Gulls - maybe the fourth and fifth birds for Lake County.
When we arrived at Austin Park the LBBG was an easy find.
We also stopped at Borax Lake where we saw a wigeon which was probably
a hybrid AMERICAN/EURASIAN WIGEON and a distant bird which appeared to be a
totally albino EARED GREBE.

George Chaniot
Potter Valley, MEN, CA