USTP 9/5: Brown Pelican

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- I went out to the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this morning and saw a juv BROWN PELICAN on the south pond. This is only the second one I remember seeing in Ukiah. The other was the injured bird on Lake Mendocino several years ago. This bird appeared fine, but it going to have to eat an awful lot of Gambusia to make a living out there! The water on the north pond has pulled back into very small puddles on the east and west ends. However, there is pretty good habitat on the middle pond presently although it is pretty weedy. I saw the usual shorebirds as well as a juv PECTORAL SANDPIPER, a WILSON'S SNIPE, and a single RED-NECKED PHALAROPE. Lots of passerines are moving along the Russian River now. I counted at least 6 WILLOW FLYCATCHERS and lots of warblers, including a "celata"-type ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER.

Chuck

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA 95482

cevaughn@pacific.net