USTP 7/11: American Bittern

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders: I visited the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant early this morning. The bird of the morning was easily an AMERICAN BITTERN juvenile which I spotted flying S along the Russian River. It crossed the oxidation ponds and lit in the Typha on the S edge of the sludge pond (aka "the bubbler"). Other new birds out there included a GREATER YELLOWLEGS and about 25 peeps, mostly LEAST but also several WESTERN SANDPIPERS. There were also single WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBES. A PEREGRINE FALCON made several stoops, terrorizing the sandpipers. The summering male RING-NECKED DUCK, which has never totally molted into alternate plumage, and female BUFFLEHEAD continue. There was a cool, fresh south breeze and the smoke was visibly thinning as I was there. It would not be difficult to imagine we were at the Salton Sea these past couple of days!

Chuck

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA 95482

cevaughn@pacific.net