4/ 17 USTP Semipalmated Sandpiper

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- I made a brief, but fruitful, visit to the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant early this morning. The middle pond is being drained and there is lots of exposed mud. It seems that some birds are starting to move in and out of there. Six days ago I saw 7 GREATER YELLOWLEGS and 1 LEAST SANDPIPER. This morning there were no Yellowlegs, and 8 Least Sandpipers. They were accompanied by a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER that was mostly molted into breeding plumage. That is the first I have ever seen out there in the spring. The ducks were quite flighty and it was difficult to get looks at all of them. However, there were at least 2 BLUE-WINGED TEAL females. Two of the group of wintering EARED GREBES remain, and they are growing their yellow ears. A few YELLOW WARBLERS are already singing along the river. Cheap thrills!!

Chuck

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA 95482

cevaughn@pacific.net