Misc. birds at USTP 2/15

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- I enjoyed this bright morning birding at the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant. There was little or no evidence of the recent AMERICAN COOT "die-off". In fact the number of dead coots I saw was matched by the number of dead RED-TAILED HAWKS: one of each. Two weeks ago I saw 15-20 dead coots. There is absolutely no indication that the cholera has had a significant impact on their population. There were 5 CANVASBACKS (2 m, 3 f) on the south pond. An adult BALD EAGLE was in the cottonwoods along the Russian River to the north of the ponds. TREE SWALLOWS have arrived in numbers (50+) and they are already exploring tree holes along the river. It is great to hear their bubbling chatter again. I saw a single VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW mixed in with them. Following Bob Keiffer's advice, I drove home via Oak Manor and saw 10-15 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS visible in the redwood trees just east of the corners of Pomo and Yosemite.

Chuck

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA 95482

cevaughn@pacific.net