USTP 10/26: Am Bittern, Horned Lark

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders: I made my obligatory Friday morning visit to the USTP today, and the wet, gloomy weather proved lucky for me. I saw an AMERICAN BITTERN in the tall "Smart Weed" on the south edge of the south pond. The bird flushed as I approached and hopped over the south fence into the drainage ditch adjacent to the pear orchard there. It may well still be in the area. On the dry and recently-plowed north pond I saw a beautiful reddish, male HORNED LARK. This bird, unfortunately, flew SE over the river and disappeared. Other birds of local interest included 22 CACKLING GEESE (no collars, dark brown-purple upper breast), a single DUNLIN, and 3 BONAPARTE'S GULLS.

Chuck

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA 95482

cevaughn@pacific.net