Ukiah area birds 10/5

Chuck & Barbara Vaughn

Greetings Mendobirders- I visited the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this morning and saw 3 CACKLING GEESE on the south pond. None of them had white-collars so I assume they were probably not "Aleutians". Despite the large expanse of muddy puddles on the draining middle pond, the only shorebirds besides some LEASTS were 2 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS. Two PEREGRINE FALCONS , an adult and an immature, made several noisy and half-hearted strafes over the ducks on the south pond. A much more stealthy MERLIN was also working the area. There were several hundred swallows out there, but all I could find were VIOLET-GREENS. This afternoon I have had a late WESTERN TANAGER eating what remains of my zinfandel grapes at home. On 10/3 a "V" of about 110 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flew over the HREC office area headed SSE. They were definitely not going to Clear Lake.

Chuck

Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA 95482

cevaughn@pacific.net