Bald Eagle and Semipalmated Sandpiper

Ron LeValley

Hi all,

For the past few days my yahoogroups account has been down, now I have it
reactivated. Apologies for the late report on the Bald Eagle.

Since at least Saturday the 4th of August there has been a Bald Eagle just
south of the Little River Post Office. It is eating hatch year Western Gulls
on the island offshore, and then hiding in the trees when the gulls get to
it. It is a young bird, probably hatched in either 2005 or 2006 on Santa
Catalina Island and I know that because it is tagged on both wings with
bright orange patagial tags. Today I read the numbers on the tags, so will
report when I get more information. This bird is probably best seen in the
morning from behind the Little River Post Office. You might have to wait a
bit before it flies out of the trees and searches over the islans.

Also, Lisa Hug saw a hatch year Semipalmated Sandpiper at Virgin Creek Beach
yesterday afternoon. We did not see it today. There was a Lesser Yellowlegs
there today.

Also, off Van Damme Beach State Park we saw one freshly fledged Rhinoceros
Auklet and two freshly fledged Pigeon Guillemots today.

Cheers, Ron

Ron LeValley Photography

Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery

301 North Main Street

Fort Bragg California USA 95437

Cell: 707/496-3326

Gallery: 707/964-4706

www.LeValleyPhoto.com <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/>

Ron@LeValleyPhoto.com

For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, contact
Ron@LeValleyPhoto.com