Re: gosling predators?

jack booth

I left out owls because their feeding habitats put out at a time when the goslings would be out of sight under mom. Great horned owls could kill a large goose easily but my guess is that it is unusual (anybody have more info). I do know that they occasionally kill wild turkeys off their roost. Great horned owls do kill striped skunks commonly. Jack

On May 11, 2005, at 9:09 AM, Feather Forestwalker wrote:

Kate Marianchild wrote:

What about turtles? do we have those in ponds on the coast?

Yes, but not American Crows - at least, not very regularly; this seems
to be the one area on the California coast where this species is not
seen with much regularity. . .Common Ravens are more than likely the
culprit, if we're looking at avian predators - but so are Northern
Harriers, Red-shouldered Hawks and, possibly, Cooper's Hawks - Barn and
Great-horned Owls come to mind......I haven't seen all of Jack's list -
mammals would include those I *do* see listed, as well as raccoons, gray
foxes, domestic cats, bobcats, etc.

The turtles are likely to be a species of western pond turtle, however,
so these are too small to eat gosling; I bet you're thinking of snapping
turtles - and I am not sure whether we have these as a native species on
the coast. Is possible that there are some introduced ones, however, and
at the Caspar Pond, *anything* is possible in that regard..

:)

Feather

On May 10, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Jack Booth wrote:

I also forgot to mention opposum, bullfrog, and large-mouth bass. Jack
On May 10, 2005, at 9:32 AM, B. Acord wrote:

Great list Jack. Also Common Ravens and American Crows. Corvids,
especially Ravens, will team up on the adults to split there
attention
till one of the goslings is vulnerable.

~Brian
Brian Acord