Re: gosling predators?

Feather Forestwalker <feather@...>

Kate Marianchild wrote:

What about turtles? do we have those in ponds on the coast?
Yes, but not American Crows - at least, not very regularly; this seems to be the one area on the California coast where this species is not seen with much regularity. . .Common Ravens are more than likely the culprit, if we're looking at avian predators - but so are Northern Harriers, Red-shouldered Hawks and, possibly, Cooper's Hawks - Barn and Great-horned Owls come to mind......I haven't seen all of Jack's list - mammals would include those I *do* see listed, as well as raccoons, gray foxes, domestic cats, bobcats, etc.

The turtles are likely to be a species of western pond turtle, however, so these are too small to eat gosling; I bet you're thinking of snapping turtles - and I am not sure whether we have these as a native species on the coast. Is possible that there are some introduced ones, however, and at the Caspar Pond, *anything* is possible in that regard..

:)

Feather

On May 10, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Jack Booth wrote:

I also forgot to mention opposum, bullfrog, and large-mouth bass. Jack
On May 10, 2005, at 9:32 AM, B. Acord wrote:

Great list Jack. Also Common Ravens and American Crows. Corvids,
especially Ravens, will team up on the adults to split there
attention
till one of the goslings is vulnerable.

~Brian
Brian Acord