Coastal Mendo Bird Report

Matthew Matthiessen <matthima@...>

Some friends (including Ollie Kolkmann, Stan Snyder, Dave & Ruth Wiebe,
Myron Widmer, and Larry Siemens) and I spent Memorial Day weekend
birding the Mendo coast. George Chaniot already posted a couple of our
sightings. Some of our other highlights were a pair of RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKERS at Navarro on Saturday the 26th (seen in the morning and
afternoon). Also on Saturday we got good looks at the HOODED ORIOLE in
Fort Bragg. Saturday night I drove up Albion Ridge Rd about three miles
to the pygmy forest and heard three COMMON NIGHTHAWKS calling. Went
back to the same place Sunday night and heard three nighthawks again and
oberved one of them performing his display flight including hearing the
booms clearly.

On Sunday the 27th we went to Lake Cleone where we saw a male and
female RED CROSSBILL and a very late GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. While
standing in the parking lot of Lake Cleone we oberved a flock of 50
WHITE-FACED IBIS flying south directly above the Haul Rd. At the Laguna
Point parking area on the 27th we saw another group of nine HEERMANN'S
GULLS and a RING-BILLED GULL. At Virgin Creek Beach on the 27th we saw
a group of nine HARLEQUIN DUCKS resting on the rocks beside a pair of
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS and a WHIMBREL.

On the morning of Monday the 28th we spent approximately 3.5 hours on a
pelagic trip that never ventured further than 8 miles offshore. We
didn't see anything exceptional but what follows is a list of the
species seen with numbers in parenthases.

RED-THROATED LOON (3)
PACIFIC LOON (200)
COMMON LOON (1)
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS (17)