Understanding distributed contagion vigilance

David Stodolsky

Probably the simplest explanation of distributed contagion vigilance is based upon an analogy between computer and biological viruses:

Assume that everyone is carrying a mobile phone and these phones can propagate a computer virus. If a person comes within ten meters of you, their computer virus will be transmitted to your phone via Bluetooth or WiFi. This generates an alert sound from your phone, allowing you to avoid risky contact with that person.

It gets extremely complicated to implement this in a secure way, so as to avoid stigma and to ensure cooperation. Normally, I wouldn’t even try to explain how it works, since people would get the idea from using the application.
Slides illustrating this process uploaded to file area: Dynamic Risk-based surveillance - PDF and Keynote formats.

We can estimate the cost from related implementations:

The TraceTogether app required about a thousand hours of work to implement.
We estimated that it would cost a few million Euro to develop and test a system like this for protection of hospitals.

Impact:

The application would allow us to trace any agent entering a population and isolate all infected persons. This would apply to all epidemiological agents spread by direct contact and via surfaces - with the more advanced model developed for hospitals.
Virus Radar Simulation movie uploaded (mov format) - SWF format available.

dss

David Stodolsky, PhD                   Institute for Social Informatics
Tornskadestien 2, st. th., DK-2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
dss@...          Tel./Signal: +45 3095 4070

Join MedicalEthics@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.