Topics

How to create a session cookie

Pauline Shoemaker

I have a question. How do I figure out what the Session Cookie is for a user?

I send an OFX (Open Financial Exchange) request to the OFX server at a brokerage to get all of the transactions during a specific time period. I have been doing this for many years.

Basically, I am using the format that Quicken uses to get the data.  I knew that Quicken was going to change the program so that you can't download transactions unless you have the latest version of the program. I do own the latest version of Quicken so I know that the file that is sent to the OFX server has just one additional line. So far only one brokerage has changed their program.

Now the following line must be in the request:

<SESSCOOKIE>0DFA9D60C148DB277046CE102CAD000B.ces4r0No1FYnZ_hnwprd02_2

The problem is that I have no way of knowing where the session cookie is stored. Do you know how I can find it and retrieve it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pauline Shoemaker

Eric Selje

Hi Pauline,

You don't say whether you're using WestWind Web Connection, though that seems probable given the type of transaction you're doing.

Can you verify that's the case?

Eric

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 1:18 PM Pauline Shoemaker <pauline.shoemaker@...> wrote:
[...]

No. I am not using Web Connect. There is a web site that shows what you need to connect to the OFX server for any brokerage.

You can actually select the correct broker and see the requirements.

The only broker that I am having a problem with is the Vanguard Group.

The information that you will see for Vanguard is this:
Vanguard_OFX_Requirements.JPG

The following is an OFX request that was sent to Vanguard. The version shows 102, but I know that they are actually using version 2.2 because the <SESSCOOKIE> is not in version 102. It is something that was just added by Quicken.
The problem is that I do not know how to find or create the session cookie.
The <APPID> is QWIN which stands for Quicken for Windows. The latest version <APPVER> is 2700. I highlighted the Vanguard information in green, my information in aqua and the new session cookie in yellow.

OFXSGML is like XML, except it does not always need the ending tag. The OFX specifications are in the PDF: https://www.ofx.net/downloads/OFX%202.2.pdf

OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML

VERSION:102

SECURITY:NONE

ENCODING:USASCII

CHARSET:1252

COMPRESSION:NONE

OLDFILEUID:NONE

NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>

<SIGNONMSGSRQV1>

<SONRQ>

<DTCLIENT>20200517180837.374

<USERID>[myuserid]

<USERPASS>[myuserpass]

<GENUSERKEY>N

<LANGUAGE>ENG

<FI>

<ORG>Vanguard

<FID>15103

</FI>

<SESSCOOKIE>0DFA9D60C148DB277046CE102CAD000B.ces4r0No1FYnZ_hnwprd02_2

<APPID>QWIN

<APPVER>2600

</SONRQ>

</SIGNONMSGSRQV1>

<INVSTMTMSGSRQV1>

<INVSTMTTRNRQ>

<TRNUID>16944-FM7-20200517180837.374-374

<INVSTMTRQ>

<INVACCTFROM>

<BROKERID>vanguard.com

<ACCTID>[myacctid]

</INVACCTFROM>

<INCTRAN>

<INCLUDE>Y

</INCTRAN>

<INCOO>N

<INCPOS>

<INCLUDE>Y

</INCPOS>

<INCBAL>Y

</INVSTMTRQ>

</INVSTMTTRNRQ>

</INVSTMTMSGSRQV1>

</OFX>

This OFX request is sent to the OFX server using the following URL:

This is one reply received from an OFX server when I didn't give the correct login and password;
OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:NONE
ENCODING:USASCII
CHARSET:1252
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:04ECA55E-7D1A-4D4A-AC77-67324554310E

<OFX>
<SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
<SONRS>
<STATUS>
<CODE>15500</CODE>
<SEVERITY>ERROR</SEVERITY>
<MESSAGE>Signon invalid</MESSAGE>
</STATUS>
<DTSERVER>20200523135333</DTSERVER>
<LANGUAGE>ENG</LANGUAGE>
</SONRS>
</SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
<SIGNUPMSGSRSV1>
<ACCTINFOTRNRS>
<TRNUID>50010-FM7-20200523135330.385-385</TRNUID>
<STATUS>
<CODE>15500</CODE>
<SEVERITY>ERROR</SEVERITY>
<MESSAGE>pr-txlvofx-pp04-clientsys Signon invalid</MESSAGE>
</STATUS>
</ACCTINFOTRNRS>
</SIGNUPMSGSRSV1>
</OFX>

If you want to try the program, you can download the demo from Investment Account Manager:

Use the "Portfolio Setup Wizard' to see data you can get from your broker. The OFX request that was sent is in the OFX subfolder of the program as well as the reply from the broker.

Pauline Shoemaker