Topics

MTMA Launch Equipment Cleaning and Repair

Wolfram v.Kiparski

I thought that we got a lot accomplished.  Present at the work party was Mark Recktenwald (our host), John Ulizzi, Gary Stricker, and myself.  After 5-6 hours passed, we had cleaned, polished, and sorted all of the launch rods and the rail.  The electronic launch gear was inspected and cleaned.  We sorted through everything we had and got rid of some junk.  The launch clips were wire brushed.  And our troublesome launch pad heads have been reconditioned and are 100% functional.

Still on the to-do list:
We will be replacing one of the ethernet cables with more robust outdoor cabling.  We will be replacing our mid-power pad with something easier to use and a little less cumbersome to transport.  A 20mm rail from 80/20 Inc. for use with mini-rail-buttons may (as in might) be available this Spring.

More to-do:
We are still working on what steps need to be taken to improve our range operations.  I believe that we are going to be asking MTMA members for more help running launches.  More about this later in another thread.

John Ulizzi

The “ more robust outdoor cable” was just delivered...  Regarding the spool that this long cable is mounted on, I like Mark’s idea of putting a jack on the side of the spool, with one caveat. These premolded cables are completely sealed. I question the ability to make the internal jack connection as moisture resistant. If we can do that, great. Then I will purchase a short length patch cord to match. However, another option might be to simply push one end of the new cable through the hole in the center and leave just enough pigtail to safely reach the remote cell without strain. 1 1/2 -2’ should suffice. That short pigtail can then somehow be clipped to the outside of the spool. Just another alternative. Looking forward to another great season !

John

On Feb 13, 2018, at 1:03 PM, Wolfram v.Kiparski <astronwolf@...> wrote:

[...]

I obtained replacement and spare clamping screws and knobs for the launcher heads.

On Feb 14, 2018 8:00 AM, John Ulizzi <jaulizzi@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary Stricker

I finished repairing the launch head I took home on Sunday including a new coat of paint. Will bring it next time we meet.