Topics

Beginner Level 1 certification

Tom Augustine

I think I will Wolf just to check out the facility and tools! Hey, who in the group can tutor me on a Level 1 Cert build? Mainly balancing and stability of the build?

Wolfram v.Kiparski

If you haven't already, start using a rocket design/simulator program.  I recommend OpenRocket.  Many people love RockSim.  I am very critical of RockSim.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

You need to get comfortable with being able to accurately determine the Center of Gravity and Center of Pressure of your rocket.

As for doing a Level 1 cert build that's pretty easy.  Buy kit.  Build kit.  Fly kit.  I scratch built an upscaled Big Bertha using a 3-inch mailing tube, plywood rings and fins I cut myself, and a nose cone I made out of fiberglass and epoxy.  Flew it with a mid-H motor.  Uneventful, nominal flight.  Flying an H motor is no big deal.

Jeff Kodysz

I second what Wolf said about a sim. OpenRocket is free. I personally use Rocksim but that's because I run Mac computers and OpenRocket is Java-based and is not always Mac-friendly. you can't beat the price though! I'm also embarking on a quest to reach Level 1. I just have to get off my caboose and do it! :) I think the hardest part is finding a local field that actually has launches.

Jeff

I couldn't think of it previously and I'm glad you mentioned it. My concern is and will need help with what you said below:

"accurately determine the Center of Gravity and Center of Pressure of your rocket.  "

If you haven't already, start using a rocket design/simulator program.  I recommend OpenRocket.  Many people love RockSim.  I am very critical of RockSim.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

You need to get comfortable with being able to accurately determine the Center of Gravity and Center of Pressure of your rocket.

As for doing a Level 1 cert build that's pretty easy.  Buy kit.  Build kit.  Fly kit.  I scratch built an upscaled Big Bertha using a 3-inch mailing tube, plywood rings and fins I cut myself, and a nose cone I made out of fiberglass and epoxy.  Flew it with a mid-H motor.  Uneventful, nominal flight.  Flying an H motor is no big deal.

Tom Augustine

Thanks guys, we'll chat more hopefully December 2. Have a great THANKSGIVING!

[...]

Jim Seibyl

Essential if you are thinking about a cert, fairly easy to determine using open rocket or rocksim.

I’ll be happy to assist with any questions, and would be happy to sign off on the flight when the time comes.

Best advice to keep it simple, just get it up and back, build for strength, if you are not comfortable with electronics, hold off.  You can use a 4 inch diameter design and keep it under 1500 feet without even a chute release.

“We need more boom.”

On Nov 22, 2017, at 2:04 PM, taugy via Groups.Io <taugy@...> wrote:

[...]

I have already purchased a PRECISION LOC IV and have found a How To video on the build. I'll need help with CP and CG. It will be on my winter build pile.

[...]

Sure no problem, I’ll be happy to walk you thru the rocksim, that’s what I use

“We need more boom.”

On Nov 23, 2017, at 7:39 AM, taugy via Groups.Io <taugy@...> wrote:

[...]

You will always get "boom" when I attend a launch! My birds have a tendency to CATO!

20160409_152852(1)a.jpg

[...]

Tom, the benefit of using a kit is that it is most likely a stable rocket.  I know that you'll still need to demonstrate stability on paper.  Open Rocket will easily and accurately measure Cp on a simple rocket like your Loc IV.  Save the $100+ dollars that you'd spend on rocksim for motors.

Do you have a laptop?

On Nov 23, 2017 7:39 AM, "taugy via Groups.Io" <taugy@...> wrote:
[...]

Oh gosh yes I have two laptops. Windows 8.1 and 10 . I'm just now getting ready to download Open Rocket and kick it around.

Thanks Wolf! Have a great day!

On Nov 23, 2017 7:39 AM, "taugy via Groups.Io" <taugy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bring it with you on December 2.  I'll show you some stuff if you've not figured it out by then.

Weigh each component of your Loc IV and use those values in the simulator.  You can use generic values, but you want more better, right?

On Nov 23, 2017 10:53 AM, "taugy via Groups.Io" <taugy@...> wrote:
[...]

That will work, there are pre made files that you can find for that rocket, search the LOC website for a rocksim file, it can open in open rocket, easy peasy

“We need more boom.”

On Nov 23, 2017, at 10:53 AM, taugy via Groups.Io <taugy@...> wrote:

[...]

John Ulizzi

That is a great picture !

On Nov 23, 2017, at 10:35 AM, taugy via Groups.Io <taugy@...> wrote:

[...]

Maxi Honest John CATO on an Estes D12-4. It survived the cato but not the lawn-darting the next day because of faulty parachute packing/deployment.

Maxi Honest John crashed.jpg