Topics

XRIT2PIC.

Douglas Deans

As a matter of interest is anyone successfully using XRIT2PIC with Windows 10.
I decided to give the program a try again and despite days of effort, all previews, images etc are empty ie black window.
There is no indication that anything is wrong.
The data I am using works with David's programs, Pytroll/SatPy and EumetcastView so is sound raw data.
Clearly I am missing something.

Any comments would be appreciated.

R. Alblas

Douglas,

Does xrit2pic show a list of received files?
If you select a line in the list, and then do menu 'File->Fileinfo selected', does that show a clickable tree with file information?
What files do you have; MSG received from Eumetcast?
Note that MSG from Internet appears ro be hdf4 files (not hdf5), which xrit2pic doesn't support (yet).

Regards,
Rob.

On 01/09/2020 11:25, R. Alblas wrote:
 Douglas,
Does xrit2pic show a list of received files?
If you select a line in the list, and then do menu 'File->Fileinfo selected', does that show a clickable tree with file information?
What files do you have; MSG received from Eumetcast?
Note that MSG from Internet appears ro be hdf4 files (not hdf5), which xrit2pic doesn't support (yet).
Regards,
Rob.

Hello Rob and thanks for the reply.
Yes I have a list of received files eg MSG4 HRIT etc.
When I expand one I see the channels, information etc., all correctly.
The tree expands correctly down to individual segments.
The file information on the trees is exactly as shown on your manual images.
The files are all Eumetcast received (not internet).
If I select the preview box and then a channel (or all) everything seems to work but the window is black.
Even with a single HRIT segment from one of the channels the window is black with no image.

R. Alblas

Douglas,
I assume you are using the newest version, i.e. 2020.3b? I'll double-check this evening that nothing is wrong with that version, but as far as I know others are using it.
Deselecting colour and selecting one channel, does that work? (Selecting a group, with all channels in it, should give another pop-up, if you deselect colour.)

Regards,
Rob.

On 01/09/2020 12:03, R. Alblas wrote:
 Douglas,
I assume you are using the newest version, i.e. 2020.3b? I'll double-check this evening that nothing is wrong with that version, but as far as I know others are using it.
Deselecting colour and selecting one channel, does that work? (Selecting a group, with all channels in it, should give another pop-up, if you deselect colour.)
Regards,
Rob.

I thought I was but on checking it actually says 2020.1e so I will check for the update and report back.
May be later before I reply as I have an appointment.
Thanks again for your help.

Douglas Deans

On 01/09/2020 12:13, Douglas Deans via groups.io wrote:
On 01/09/2020 12:03, R. Alblas wrote:
  Douglas,
I assume you are using the newest version, i.e. 2020.3b? I'll double-check this evening that nothing is wrong with that version, but as far as I know others are using it.
Deselecting colour and selecting one channel, does that work? (Selecting a group, with all channels in it, should give another pop-up, if you deselect colour.)

Regards,
Rob.
I thought I was but on checking it actually says 2020.1e so I will check for the update and report back.
May be later before I reply as I have an appointment.
Thanks again for your help.

Rob just to confirm that I now have version 2020.3b but the problem remains as before.

Rob and Douglas

I have used XRIT2PIC 10 years ago under GNU/Linux and the a couple of years the cmd line version for batch processing.
Just for curiosity I now installed your latest version. The setup has always been somewhat special as I do not let XRIT2PIC
handle the received file system. Now I installed SAMBA on one of my GNU/Linux receivers and it took me 1 hour to get the
first RGB previews under Windows 10. My main question is now for Rob: How to setup the source directory. It is read only!

Z:\ Channel_2\2020\09\01\All EUMETCast received Files of Channel_2 from today              Z:\   is a SBM share over CIFS

All EUMETCast Channels have root Z:\ and then Year\Mon\Day\Files                      I store one week of files on the receiver.

If I just say Z:\ is the source of the files XRIT2PIC does not seem to setup a file tree. So what are my easiest possibilities?

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 04:34 AM, Douglas Deans wrote:
Rob just to confirm that I now have version 2020.3b but the problem remains as before.
Douglas

I had no problems to get first images here. Only RGB images including hrv are cropped at the left.

Have you setup the XRIT decompression dll and is it in the same directory as the XRIT2PIC.exe?

R. Alblas

Ernst,
You should define the exact and full directory where the received files are. So:
Z:\Year\Mon\Day

In the browser you should then see the files.

Regards,
Rob.

On 09/01/2020 01:54 PM, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Yes Ernst I downloaded the setup_decompr.exe and installed it.
I assume the wvt.dll is the required file and it is in the same directory as the program exe.
Completely puzzled with this. Probably something simple.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 05:50 AM, R. Alblas wrote:
Ernst,
You should define the exact and full directory where the received files are. So:
Z:\Year\Mon\Day

Thanks Rob

My files on the GNU/Linux receivers might not be organized the best way for XRIT2PIC.exe.
They are grouped as Hugo does it and also for easy file deletion per day of age (no find...).

On the Windows side e.g. MSG4 today is in
Z:\Channel_2\2020\09\01\
but yesterday's MSG4 files are in
Z:\Channel_2\2020\08\31\
and I got a dozen EUMETCast Channels on Z:\. And all directories and files are read only.

Is there a way to make movies with XRIT2PIC in such a Windows 10  environment?

Very different question: Does XRIT2PIC write something to the Windows 10 registry?

Best regards
Ernst

R. Alblas

Ernst,

Generated files may end in any location you want, so you can choose a writeable location.
See preferences, tab Direcories, 'Destination'-directory.
But as you have it now, to make a multi-day movie it would need to look in several directories in one run.
I remember that I did have an idea to let xrit2pic look in a directory tree instead of one location, so it can read all files in locations Year\Mon\Day. I'll have a look at that.

A work-around would be to make links from all files in all needed directories into one directory, but that's not so nice.

Regards,
Rob.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 07:14 AM, R. Alblas wrote:
Generated files may end in any location you want, so you can choose a writeable location.
Rob

I remember from years back that processed files had to be moved to a /done directory.
This will not be able on the source side of the receiver. But I will give RSS a try, thanks.

There is still the registry question and one not so fine experience with Metop:

When I try to do a Metop-A/C image in EPS-10 the program crashes in preview
even with only 3 segments choosen. (YES I added an up to date weather.txt)..

Best regards
Ernst

R. Alblas

Ernst,

No, it's the other way around. If xrit2pic does do 'live' processing, so collecting data as they come in, these will be moved to a 'done' directory (so one level deeper), so it's easier to detect newly received files. Normally you don't have to care about that, except if you want to do something with the files outside xrit2pic (because they may be in the lower directory 'done').
If xrit2pic is not in continuous processing mode then nothing changes; files remain where they are, and that location can be anywhere. And it doesn't matter if some or all files are at that location in the 'done' directory'.

Regards,
Rob.

On 01-09-2020 16:33, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 07:14 AM, R. Alblas wrote:
Generated files may end in any location you want, so you can choose a writeable location.
Rob

I remember from years back that processed files had to be moved to a /done directory.
This will not be able on the source side of the receiver. But I will give RSS a try, thanks.

There is still the registry question and one not so fine experience with Metop:

When I try to do a Metop-A/C image in EPS-10 the program crashes in preview
even with only 3 segments choosen. (YES I added an up to date weather.txt)..

Best regards
Ernst

Douglas Deans

Rob just to be absolutely sure can you confirm that the XRIT decompression dll needed for MSG files is wvt.dll which I have in the program exe directory.

R. Alblas

Douglas,

Yes, wvt.dll is needed, but if it is missing then the program will not start anyway, and will give an error like: 'wvt.dll missing'. So the fact that xrit2pic runs (and shows the received files) means that you have all dll's in place.

I just downloaded xrit2pic 2020.3b on a windows-7 machine, and it runs fine. So why it doesn't run on win-10, I don't know. I'll see if I can find someone having win-10.

Regards,
Rob.

On 01/09/2020 20:25, R. Alblas wrote:
Douglas,
Yes, wvt.dll is needed, but if it is missing then the program will not start anyway, and will give an error like: 'wvt.dll missing'. So the fact that xrit2pic runs (and shows the received files) means that you have all dll's in place.
I just downloaded xrit2pic 2020.3b on a windows-7 machine, and it runs fine. So why it doesn't run on win-10, I don't know. I'll see if I can find someone having win-10.
Regards,
Rob.

Thank you.
The preview window opens and lets me choose channels etc and then when I select one the image window opens and a green dot appears beside the selected channel suggesting all is well but the image window is black.

Regards.
Douglas.

R. Alblas

On 01-09-2020 21:47, Douglas Deans via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Does 'Export' do something? That should directly generate a file (pgm or jpeg) in the destination directory. (Btw, if you open a tree item you can select a channel and then create an image without the extra popup.)

Rob.

Ernst Lobsiger

Rob and Douglas

I can confirm that xrit2pic latest version works here on Windows 10.
I can make images of GOES, Himawari, Meteosat 0°, RSS, IODC.
I can also make images of Metop-A/B/C and NOAA-19 as disseminated
in EUMETSAT-Data-Channel-1. File format says "Raw1 10", "Raw2 10".
When I want to make the same Metop-B/C from channel EPS-10 I have
file format "Raw3 14". When pressing "Preview" xrit2pic crashes. It
yet opens the preview window and then just silently disappears ...

xrit2pic version 2020.3b
Build at Aug 27 2020, 15:36:46

Windows 10 PRO 2004

Douglas Deans

On 01/09/2020 21:33, R. Alblas wrote:
[...]

Yes 'Export' works and generates a file but when I open it with an image viewing program (Paint shop Pro etc.) it is also all black.

Tomorrow I might see if I can try data other than MSG as I am very suspicious that the HRIT files are not decompressing for whatever reason.

Appreciate your help.
Douglas.