Topics

Windows 10 feature update and MRTG

James Brown

It looks like the latest major update has caused an issue with one component of my MRTG monitoring - the PC I/O - or traffic after channel selection.

Done the usual checks, stop/start SNMP though I notice there has been installed a newer version - or at least the date has been changed. Changed the security settings as David suggested, uninstalled informer and reinstalled v. 1.7

I notice a new version of Killer Network app and wonder if it has changed the name of the interface I use.

Tried perl cfg maker using the suggested settings but this reports errors now preventing the creation of a basic MRTG file to help me track down the interfaces. Just wondering if there is another way of discovering interface names?

Everything else is fine so I may not even bother to pursue it it is too much hassle.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

James.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]

================================

James,

Typically you need to visit the Services App, select SNMP service, right-click properties, Security, accept SNMP packets from any host. But you've done that!

You may find some hints here, but not yet updated for 2004.

Use Interface addresses rather than names:

Target[Alta]: /192.168.0.1:public@....0.1

URL missing: https://www.satsignal.eu/software/Win-10-notes.html

James Brown

Thanks David,
Yes I followed your excellent guidance pages on your web site.

Is there a dos box command to identify the interfaces ?

Cheers
James.

On 5 Jun 2020, at 16:00, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

<services-after upgrade.png>

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Thanks David,
Yes I followed your excellent guidance pages on your web site.

Is there a dos box command to identify the interfaces ?

Cheers
James.
=====================================

It's just the IP address of the device - you are using fixed IPs (or address reservation) I hope? The interface numbers can (and do) change. I can't quickly see how to find them, and I don't know whether the index in ipconfig is a guide - might be an alphabetical listing.

ipconfig will list the devices and their IP address, ipconfig /all for more info.

You might like to look at:

https://www.lisenet.com/2014/get-windows-system-information-via-wmi-command-line-wmic/

and:

https://winaero.com/blog/get-all-network-adapter-details-in-windows-10-with-this-command/

which lists as a command:

wmic nic get AdapterType, Name, Installed, MACAddress, PowerManagementSupported, Speed

Maybe there's a parameter to show the ID, or maybe the result is in ID order (starting at 1 or 0).

Have fun!

James Brown

Thank you again.
I am thinking I ought to socially isolate from MRTG!

JB

On 5 Jun 2020, at 19:09, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

You might like to look at:

https://www.lisenet.com/2014/get-windows-system-information-via-wmi-command-line-wmic/

and:

https://winaero.com/blog/get-all-network-adapter-details-in-windows-10-with-this-command/

which lists as a command:

wmic nic get AdapterType, Name, Installed, MACAddress, PowerManagementSupported, Speed

Maybe there's a parameter to show the ID, or maybe the result is in ID order (starting at 1 or 0).

Have fun!

Thank you again.
I am thinking I ought to socially isolate from MRTG!

JB
================================

James,

You are making things more complicated than they need to be! You can specify the target by MAC address as well. Use ipconfig /all to get the MAC address of the interface you're trying to monitor. Here's what I see for the extra card plugged into this PC to connect to the Ayecka SR1:

Ethernet adapter EUMETCast SR1 #1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-FD-B9-00-6F-42
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.104(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So in my case the MAC address is: 6C-FD-B9-00-6F-42. You see it's on network .10. because my SR1 is set that way.

A shortcut way of referring to your own PC is 127.0.0.1 so a "target" would be, taking their example in:

https://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

Target[myrouter]: !01-02-0a-0b-0c-0d:public@...

Target[satellite_19]: !6c-fd-b9-00-6f-42:public@....0.1

The MAC address is normally invariant. I've never used this as I keep IP addresses fixed, and you can achieve a similar effect by the "Address reservation" settings in your router, albeit that you may need to recreate those when you get a new router.

Hope that helps!

James Brown

Appreciate the extra info.
Initial checks don’t seem to show any changes in the Ethernet identification and as far as I can see no change in ip from the static address.

I might send a couple of screen grabs if you wouldn’t mind if the small MRTG section and the Ethernet properties.

Cheers.

JB

On 6 Jun 2020, at 10:22, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

============================

Yes, that's fine. Does MRTG report any error when started? I'm using the latest 2004 Windows and Windows Insider with no MRTG issues.

James Brown

Glad you have no errors David- though if you had it might have helped me!!

I run two MRTG files, one for the SR-1 and one for the TBS. both cmd boxes report initial errors of exactly the same kind. E.G. can’t execute “MRTG” at line 172. But in the TBS script there is no line 172 so I am wondering if it’s an interaction between Strawberry Perl and MRTG. I am completely out of my depth in trying to sort out this kind of area, but in spite of the errors MRTG works fine apart from the single interface.

Cheers.

James.

On 6 Jun 2020, at 12:02, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

It's likely to be something simple as the rest of MRTG works. I've used the ActivePerl version of Perl, but if it works with all the other MRTG scripts it's unlikely to be the problem. Line numbering - if you're using include files you may have to consider the total script with the include files included!

James Brown

With the amount of debris that the retina deposits in my eye, close computer work is a bit headache inducing, and after a lot of effort still no joy.

I will take a temporary break and maybe set up a third cfg stripped of virtually everything apart from the one interface and work on that rather than constantly disturbing otherwise working scripts.

But have appreciated David’s kind input.

Cheers.

James.

On 6 Jun 2020, at 15:26, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Just to report success. I reran cfgmaker and discovered the update had changed some interface numbers. Now back and running.

Special thanks to David.

Cheers

James.

On 6 Jun 2020, at 20:25, James Brown <satellite@...> wrote:

[...]

Mads Kristoffersen

Hi

Same thing happened to me after the update: Interface number was changed and had to redo the security settings as David pointed out.

Its easy finding the new interface number: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-find-a-network-interface-index-number type "route print" in a command prompt and find interface number in the list.
Now change the interface number in the mrtg .cfg file, find the ip in the find and look for 10.2.160.231_X and change X with new interface number. Also replace X in X:public@....160.231: with new interface number. 10.2.160.231 is my ip, you have to look for your own in the .cfg file.

Downside changing interface number is existing statistics for that interface is lost.

Hi

Same thing happened to me after the update: Interface number was changed and had to redo the security settings as David pointed out.

Its easy finding the new interface number: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-find-a-network-interface-index-number type "route print" in a command prompt and find interface number in the list.
Now change the interface number in the mrtg .cfg file, find the ip in the find and look for 10.2.160.231_X and change X with new interface number. Also replace X in X:public@....160.231: with new interface number. 10.2.160.231 is my ip, you have to look for your own in the .cfg file.

Downside changing interface number is existing statistics for that interface is lost.

Regards
=====================================

Why is there this hangup on Interface numbers? Use the IP address which /should/ be unchanging if you either use static IPs (may not be possible) or use address reservation in your router.

Secondly, there's no need to lose history. Simply edit the target names so match the old data:

Old file:
Target[Alta_DVB]: 15:public@Alta
MaxBytes[Alta_DVB]: 12500000

New file:
Target[Alta_DVB]: 17:public@Alta
MaxBytes[Alta_DVB]: 12500000

I just kept the name "Alta_DVB". These are plain text files edited with NotePad, or better, NotePad++.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

32-bit and 64-it versions available.

The other hint on my Web site is to split the .CFG file down into chunks. For example:

in mrtg.cfg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LogDir: D:/Tools/MRTG/logs/
HtmlDir: D:/Tools/MRTG/www
ImageDir: D:/Tools/MRTG/www

RunAsDaemon: Yes
Interval: 5

# These are default values

XSize[_]: 500
Timezone[_]: GMT
TimeStrPos[_]: RU
TimeStrFmt[_]: %Y-%b-%d
SnmpOptions: timeout => 9

Include: alta.inc
Include: alta-Temperatures.inc
Include: alta-ntp-p.inc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then in the individual include ".INC" files, for example:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#--------------------------------------
# PC Alta - total CPU load
#--------------------------------------

Target[Alta-CPU-total]: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9600.1.1.5.1.5.6.95.84.111.116.97.108&1.3.6.1.4.1.9600.1.1.5.1.5.6.95.84.111.116.97.108:public@....0.1
MaxBytes[Alta-CPU-total]: 100
YLegend[Alta-CPU-total]: Total CPU %
ShortLegend[Alta-CPU-total]: %
LegendI[Alta-CPU-total]: Total CPU
Legend1[Alta-CPU-total]: Total CPU usage
Options[Alta-CPU-total]: integer, gauge, nopercent, growright, unknaszero, noo
Title[Alta-CPU-total]: Alta Total CPU
PageTop[Alta-CPU-total]: <H2>PC Alta - Total CPU load</H2>