What products available from BAS, HVS-1 and HVS-2

Paul Gulliver

Hi,
I'm just having another look at getting back into Wx Sat reception after a break of 20 years or more.
Could someone link me to a page which explains in fairly simple terms the products available from the various services (BAS, HVS-1, HVS-2), I've looked at David's page here  https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html but I notice it was last updated in 2019 so I'm not sure if it's still current - certainly one or two of the links no longer work.
I only have a 1.1m dish so I may only be able to receive the BAS service from Southern UK, I don't have any other equipment at this stage.

Cheers,

Paul

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 25/01/2022 19:24, Paul Gulliver wrote:
Hi,
I'm just having another look at getting back into Wx Sat reception after a
break of 20 years or more.
Could someone link me to a page which explains in fairly simple terms the
products available from the various services (BAS, HVS-1, HVS-2), I've looked
at David's page here https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html
<https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html> but I notice it was last
updated in 2019 so I'm not sure if it's still current - certainly one or two of
the links no longer work.
I only have a 1.1m dish so I may only be able to receive the BAS service from
Southern UK, I don't have any other equipment at this stage.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul,

A 1.1 m dish should be fine for all three services. I'll take a look at that
page and try to update, but the major changes I can recall are Metop-A is being
de-orbited, and the Sentinel-3 full resolution data is no longer on HVS-2.
HVS-1 carries GOES-16 and GOES-17 data, and I offer free software for that.

Sorry about the links not working, but I know that the EUMETSAT site has
undergone at least two major changes, and sometimes it's difficult to keep up!

Any questions, just ask here.

Paul Gulliver

Thanks David,
So in simple terms the Meteosat dissemination is via the basic service and the GOES via HVS-1.
I'm just ploughing my way through the back issues of the GEO magazine to see what info I can get from there,
Two of the links that didn't work were to EUMETSAT and also the link to Hugh Marnoch (in the alignment section) doesn't work

Cheers

Paul

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 26/01/2022 09:29, Paul Gulliver wrote:
Thanks David,
So in simple terms the Meteosat dissemination is via the basic service and the
GOES via HVS-1.
I'm just ploughing my way through the back issues of the GEO magazine to see
what info I can get from there,
Two of the links that didn't work were to EUMETSAT and also the link to Hugh
Marnoch (in the alignment section) doesn't work

Cheers

Paul
Yes, GOES changed format and service when GOES-16/17 replaced GOES-15 etc.

On 26/01/2022 09:29, Paul Gulliver wrote:
Thanks David,
So in simple terms the Meteosat dissemination is via the basic service and the
GOES via HVS-1.
I'm just ploughing my way through the back issues of the GEO magazine to see
what info I can get from there,
Two of the links that didn't work were to EUMETSAT and also the link to Hugh
Marnoch (in the alignment section) doesn't work

Cheers

Paul
Paul,

Thanks very much for pointing out these issues - that's appreciated. The
EUMETSAT site underwent its second major reorganisation in as many years
recently, and broke a lot of the links. After over an hour of Googling to find
the new links I've updated a lot of that page, although some errors will remain
(especially when I got tired of doing this). Where possible I've updated the
information too. I hope you find the updated page a little more useful!

https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html

Alan Curnow

Paul and David,

This Eumetsat page gives the latest info of the channels on each of the services. The links just above the start of the Basic service table shown will show the HVS-1 and HVS-2 services.

https://eumetsatspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DSEC/pages/700055570/Channels%2Band%2BPacket%2BIdentifiers%2BPIDs

Cheers,
Alan

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 27/01/2022 01:18, Alan Curnow wrote:
Paul and David,
This Eumetsat page gives the latest info of the channels on each of the services. The links just above the start of the Basic service table shown will show the HVS-1 and HVS-2 services.
https://eumetsatspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DSEC/pages/700055570/Channels%2Band%2BPacket%2BIdentifiers%2BPIDs
Cheers,
Alan
Thanks, Alan. Web page updated.

Paul Gulliver

Thanks Alan, and thanks David for updating your web page

Paul