Topics

Welcome to MSG-1

Eric Wosten <pa3cev@...>

Hi guys,

I'm on board now, :-)), my RX system works utilizing a W2K PC(PIII 866/512Mb) and for data managing a XPpro machine, 1 Gb, PIV 2,6 GHz.
Dish is a 78 cm TRIAX, LNC is a Philips.

The PC's are connected thru a 10/100Mbit switch.
They are also other servers, Linux and Netware on this physical network, without any problems.

Although everything seems to work I do have some problems which I can't solve on my own.

First problem is that it takes a long time before the received directory (on the W2k RX PC) is
"visible" on the XP machine. Yes, I did switch off mcAfee. When the dir is almost empty there
is no delay, with 2 Gb of data, it takes forever. The network/switch hardware are 100%. All cables
are OK. So it must be something I am overlooking in the setup of sharing this directory.

Second problem is that there is a lot of data which "stays" in the received dir, so my first problem
is worsening if I do not delete files by hand. I have NOT checked "keep raw data" boxes.

The automatic deleting of the jpg files works ok on the XPpro machine.

I did change the value of autodisconnect on thw w2k server to -1, so that's also fine.

Help is appreciated!

Thanks

Eric Wosten PA3CEV

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

First problem is that it takes a long time before the received
directory (on the W2k RX PC) is "visible" on the XP machine.

Eric, I have seen this as well. It seems to be just how it is.....
I recall there was something on the MS Web site, but I am unsure
right now.

Second problem is that there is a lot of data which "stays" in the
received dir, so my first problem is worsening if I do not delete
files by hand. I have NOT checked "keep raw data" boxes.
Do you have the PID for ATOVS data checked, and do the file names
start AMS or HIR? If you don't want the ATOVS data, just remove the
PID 500 (hex: 1F4).

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Eric Wosten <pa3cev@x> wrote:
First problem is that it takes a long time before the received
directory
(on the W2k RX PC) is
"visible" on the XP machine. Yes, I did switch off mcAfee. When the
dir is
almost empty there
is no delay, with 2 Gb of data, it takes forever. The
network/switch
hardware are 100%.
Eric, this is standard Windows behaviour. I did search a lot on the
internet but could not solve this apart from not using explorer
anymore. It must be a combination of the long filenames and no
extension that makes explorer very slow on the raw data folder.
Try DOS-commands, I am currently testing Turbo Navigator, an explorer
replacement.
Explorer does also do a bad job on local folders filled with 8.000+
files.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle