Topics

weather impact

Robert Moore

I don't know if others are having the same experience, but there has been almost continuous heavy rain in North Wales today and all my HVS-1 imagery is very broken. BAS is fine. Suspect my reception for HVS is marginal and rain just attenuates the signal further without completely killing it.

Robert

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I don't know if others are having the same experience, but there has been almost continuous heavy rain in North Wales today and all my HVS-1 imagery is very broken. BAS is fine. Suspect my reception for HVS is marginal and rain just attenuates the signal further without completely killing it.

Robert
========================

Same here, Robert. Similar elsewhere recently:

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe_link_margin.php

Just when you need the weather data, bad weather interferes with its reception!

geojohnt@...

Robert,

Yes, it's been pretty bad 'up there' and more to come, it looks like.

However, apart from rain-fade on satellite signals, water drops on the LNB face is also a problem to take into consideration.
My 1 m dish is on the patio, so very easy to get to.
And it's quite sheltered where rain drops are not blown away from the face of the LNB.

I found some years ago that if I wiped away the large drops of rain on the face of the LNB my SNR increased by up to 1.5 dB if there were a lot of large drops.

Answer, for my 'ground' position, a rain shield made simply out of a 2 L plastic lemonade bottle.
Works very well.

++++++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 28/07/2019 17:50:50 GMT Standard Time, rsmoore@... writes:

I don't know if others are having the same experience, but there has been almost continuous heavy rain in North Wales today and all my HVS-1 imagery is very broken. BAS is fine. Suspect my reception for HVS is marginal and rain just attenuates the signal further without completely killing it.

Ian Deans

On 03/08/2019 16:19, geojohnt via Groups.Io wrote:
Robert,
Yes, it's been pretty bad 'up there' and more to come, it looks like.
However, apart from rain-fade on satellite signals, water drops on the LNB face is also a problem to take into consideration.
My 1 m dish is on the patio, so very easy to get to.
And it's quite sheltered where rain drops are not blown away from the face of the LNB.
I found some years ago that if I wiped away the large drops of rain on the face of the LNB my SNR increased by up to 1.5 dB if there were a lot of large drops.
Answer, for my 'ground' position, a rain shield made simply out of a 2 L plastic lemonade bottle.
Works very well.

John I bought a rain shield as I too found heavy droplets seriously attenuating the signal.

Mine is only semi-circular, but I found if I set it up per the instructions supplied I was losing up to 0.2/0.4 SNR. As a result the top bit is not parallel to the LNB but pointing a bit higher which has resulted in no signal loss. The LNB is slightly more exposed, but it is still very rare for me to get water on the LNB.

Looking at your picture John, I would not be surprised if your signal was a little down as a result of your cover.

geojohnt@...

Ian,

Thanks for your comments on your shield.

>Looking at your picture John, I would not be surprised if your signal
>was a little down as a result of your cover.

Yes, I wondered if anyone might notice/suggest that.

I just plonked it on a couple of weeks ago when after all the dry, hot, weather down here turned into heavy rain.
Actually, the plastic itself attenuates very little.
However, if the LNB is looking through part of the top of the shield covered in rain drops, then attenuation will occur.

I need to get out there as soon as the rain stops (with no drops on the LNB) and remove the shield to prove it.

Mmmm, I could also put a layer of ali foil over the top in dry weather and adjust the shield for no blocking.

Regards,
John