Topics

Unusual incident


Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>
 

Hi all,
This morning when I checked the wxsat computer I found MDM stuck at the
0315 cycle. The tray showed a host of tellique icons which quickly
disappeared leaving no tellique icon, but the green receiver icon was there
and showed OK on signal and quality. I tried to restart tellique but to no
avail. At this point I shut down the computer, waited 15 seconds and then
restarted (having found this to be a good procedure when having receiver or
tellique problems). Tellique then started OK and the tellique&#92;received
directory started filling up with files, so I started MDM which started
processing them and all appeared to be well. The tellique log file showed
that at 0322 it found some irregularities and so shut down tqrecv and it
stayed shut down until I appeared some two hours later (I have the log if
anyone is interested).
Is this an isolated occurrence which just affected me? Has anyone else
experienced a similar problem? I confess to being concerned about software
for processing real-time data which just stops working. Seems as though a
little work is called for here by T-Systems.

Best regards - Alan

Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@computer.org
web site: http://asewards.free.fr


David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Sewards" <alan.sewards@c...>
wrote:
Hi all,
This morning when I checked the wxsat computer I found MDM
stuck at the 0315 cycle.

Alan,

What do you mean by stuck. Do you mean that the program was
hanging, or simply that 0315 was the last available data?

If you have a bad segment, please do forward it. I have tried to
write the MSG Data Manager to be robust against errors, but there
may be some untrapped ones. So far I have seen:

- data longer than the header says (i.e. corrupted header)
- file shorter that it should be (i.e. truncated file)
- (apparently) bad JPEG data

I currently have one bad segment from Arne to check, but it is not
the same time as you just reported.


The tray showed a host of tellique icons which quickly disappeared
leaving no tellique icon, but the green receiver icon was there and
showed OK on signal and quality. I tried to restart tellique but to
no avail. At this point I shut down the computer, waited 15 seconds
and then restarted (having found this to be a good procedure when
having receiver or tellique problems). Tellique then started OK and
the tellique&#92;received directory started filling up with files, so I
started MDM which started processing them and all appeared to be
well. The tellique log file showed that at 0322 it found some
irregularities and so shut down tqrecv and it stayed shut down until
I appeared some two hours later (I have the log if anyone is
interested).

Yes, if you could Zip and e-mail it I would like to see it.


Is this an isolated occurrence which just affected me? Has
anyone else experienced a similar problem? I confess to being
concerned about software for processing real-time data which just
stops working. Seems as though a little work is called for here by T-
Systems.

Best regards - Alan
I had used to think that as well. When the eToken first came out,
things got dramatically worse! However, an upgrade of the eToken
runtime environment seemed to fix that problem (probably...), and
Eumetsat now have a more recent version of the Tellique software
which they are beta testing. I expect they will make that available
to registered users in due course. My present feeling is, though,
that for the best reliability the absolute minimum should be run on
the Receiver PC, and that a single PC system may ultimately be less
reliable than a two-PC setup.

Cheers,
David