Two PC's and MSG

sbu979r

Hello,
For the reception of MSG using two PC's of different
specification,would it be better to place the hardware on the slowest
machine and the software on the fastest, or vice versa?
I would be grateful for your suggestions.

Basil Pritchard

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "sbu979r" <basilhaigh@a...> wrote:

Hello,
For the reception of MSG using two PC's of different
specification,would it be better to place the hardware on the
slowest
machine and the software on the fastest, or vice versa?
I would be grateful for your suggestions.

Basil Pritchard
Reception needs about 500MHz/256MB, processing ideally 1GHz+ and
512MB-1GB. What spec is your slower PC?

David

sbu979r

David,

I have four PC's and I wish to network two from the following to receive MSG.

1. 900MHz/256Mb Win98SE
2. 2GHz/512Mb Win98SE
3. 1GHz/768Mb Win98SE
4. 1.8GHz/512Mb XP Pro

I am not sure which to choose to get optimum performance. As you can see
three use Win98SE and one XP Pro.

Regards,

Basil Haigh Pritchard

sbu979r

David,

Thank you for your prompt reply and suggestions.
Hey-ho here we go again, more upgrades. What a splendid idea David, thank
you.

Regards,

Basil Haigh Pritchard.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I have four PC's and I wish to network two from the following to
receive MSG.

1. 900MHz/256Mb Win98SE
2. 2GHz/512Mb Win98SE
3. 1GHz/768Mb Win98SE
4. 1.8GHz/512Mb XP Pro

I am not sure which to choose to get optimum performance. As you
can see three use Win98SE and one XP Pro.

Basil,

My opinion, for what it's worth, would be to use the lowest spec PC
for the Receiver PC (900Mhz 256MB), and replace the Win98 SE with
Windows 2000, or perhaps XP home. Doubtless someone here will say
they use Win98 SE without a problem...., you could start that way.

For processing, either the 1.8GHz or the 2GHz would be fine. I
would recommend more memory, and have a preference for the Windows
XP Pro system.

So you could be networked for the cost of a couple of networks cards
and cable (£20?), and have a couple of upgrades in mind for your
next birthday!

This is just a suggestions, and I would welcome other people's input
and advice.

Douglas Deans has done something similar, so perhaps he will write
up a brief note on how to network? <G>

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

[...]

Ah yes, David knows about my expertise and joy in networking !!!

Much depends, Basil, on how you use the other computers. I only have 2.
So I use the lowest spec (1200 AMD, 512 RAM) for Tellique only. The
receiving of the files is what you most want on a computer doing nothing
else. I then use my better spec. computer (2000 AMD, 1024Mb DDR RAM) for
processing and everything else. Works a treat with a just a few frustrating
moments at the end of each 15 min scan when everything is saving......but
nothing is ever lost.
I do agree with David that if you do other things as I do, particularly
regular GSS 4 work (animations etc) then a minimum of 1Gb of RAM is useful
for the processing/other jobs computer.
Indeed I am considering going up to 1.5Gb at the moment.

Whatever you do just having a networked computer solely for receiving the
MSG data will work very well. (processing and other jobs on another).
Let me just qualify my comments by saying that my experiences are only with
Windows XP Home on both computers.
Networking across different Operating systems might be a challenge but
that's coming from the chap who finds just thinking about it a challenge !
As David says, a couple of cards and a cross over cable for under �20 is
ideal and works extremely well.

Hope it goes well.
Any network problems please speak to David (<grin>).

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:

Any network problems please speak to David (<grin>).
Well, I was serious in suggesting a small write-up Douglas.

My experience here started with a thin-wire Ethernet system where
three PCs were strung together using 50-ohm cable, T-pieces and
terminators. It ran at all of 10Mb/s! Immediately more complex
than 2 PCs and a cross-over cable. Now I have 4 PCs and 4-port
router connected to the broadband, using 100Mb/s UTP cabling,
meaning I need to understand things like DHCP, multiple HOSTS files,
gateways etc.

I've never actually done a 2-PC with cross-over network, so your
much more recent experience may be a good guide to others.....

Cheers,
David.

Guy Martin <agm@...>

I know I'm biased but I would use win2k pro sp4 for the receive lowest spec
machine. Some people have no end of problems with xp while others have none
at all and while it doubless works perfectly with correctly written programs
it seems to get really bitchy about some drivers. Networking is easy just
give the receive machine the tellique address 192.168.238.238 with a mask of
255.255.255.0 and the main machine a similar address e.g. 192.168.238.237,
same mask. This is where xp tries to be 'helpful' and re-assigns the
addresses and acts as a dhcp server which you have to tell it not to do.
RTL8139X based network cards (Genius etc) work a dream with windows and are
cheap and windows has the drivers and will detect it ok. I would advise
using unc pathname in MDM to the receive machine, i.e.
&#92;&#92;name_of_receive_machine&#92;tellique&#92;received this avoids the map drive
disconnection problems and map drive not available if you only start the
main machine. Don't forget to share the tellique folder.

Cheers, Guy

Any network problems please speak to David (<grin>).
Well, I was serious in suggesting a small write-up Douglas.

I've never actually done a 2-PC with cross-over network, so your
much more recent experience may be a good guide to others.....

Cheers,
David.

sbu979r

Douglas,

The XP book makes it seem so simple. What with your advice, along with David
and Guy's, I will hang on until I get the Tellique software. Might get back to
you later. I'll leave David alone, he always seems so busy!
Many thanks,

Basil

sbu979r

Guy,

Phew! good job you sent me this information as I was about to let Win XP
complete the set-up. I will delay going any further until I have all the necessary
equipment.
Anyway I am now happy with which PC to use for receiving.
Thank you.

Basil

Dave Martin <Dave.Martin@...>

Basil,

as a personal view I would not use XP, especially for the 'receiver' PC

Whenever I require a stable machine I use Win2k (and in fact I have upgraded a number of machines from XP to W2k ! )

I'm certain XP is an improvement, but there are times when it seems to be/get "too clever". In particular, with respect to the MSG capture application, at a whim it will apparently re-number interfaces and IP addresses (so you appear to 'loose' the Technisat card); also with the increased OS complexity (i) there is a bigger OS overhead, and (ii) it seems more prone to go off to perform OS or housekeeping tasks (or even go and pick bluebells?) with consequent impact on receive performance.

So, for time critical reception, especially in the absence of any return channel to request a retransmission or any other ability to 'fill a hole' I would suggest that you are likely to see better results using W2k (or even NT4) on the receiver PC. For the 'processing' PC (David' MSG Data Manager / animator / GSS4) then those tasks can 'give' or yield more easily, and are more accomodating of the OS and/or other applications. Also, since you are usually sharing the receive directory 'outward' on the receiver PC, it is more critical that its network configuration stays unchanged.

One other issue which has caught some of the earlier triallists relates to disc storage, as MSG generates "humungous" amounts of data - and there is only very coarse filtration available through the PIDs in the Tellique software. Otherwise, you have to take it all and then let David ditch the channels you don't need - but that only happens once it has (almost) all been captured and transferred to the processing PC. With older disc formats there are constraints on the number of files per directory, so you are very highly recommended to format the disc as 'NTFS' rather than FAT. Also, there will almost inevitably come a time when an un-attended operation fails - perhaps due to the two PCs dropping the link for whatever reason. Files will quickly stack up on the receiver PC and can fill the disc ...... therefore if you are making a fresh install, you might consider making two volumes - one for the OS and program, and a distinct logical volume to hold the Receive directory where the Tellique client writes the raw data prior to it being collected by MSGDM - that way, if the data does over-fill, it won't run the risk of affecting the OS/program area

Dave M