Topics

TP 1 SNR this morning - 09:00 + UTC.

geojohnt@...

All,

I hardly dare to say this but under clear sky conditions my TP 1 SNR on the SR1 receiver is up 0.3 - 0.4 dB from 'what it should be' at this time of day.

The SNR is also rock steady.
Power is, as always, steady at - 25 dBm.

A couple of times so far this morning my SNR went to 13.5 for short periods.
Rather a long way from the good old days 18 months ago when my SNR was 14.2/3 dB.

However, a step in the right direction if someone is tweaking the uplink and/or satellite attitude/parameters.

Regards,
John Tellick.

Douglas Deans

On 06/11/2019 10:09, geojohnt via Groups.Io wrote:
All,
I hardly dare to say this but under clear sky conditions my TP 1 SNR on the SR1 receiver is up 0.3 - 0.4 dB from 'what it should be' at this time of day.
The SNR is also rock steady.
Power is, as always, steady at - 25 dBm.
A couple of times so far this morning my SNR went to 13.5 for short periods.
Rather a long way from the good old days 18 months ago when my SNR was 14.2/3 dB.
However, a step in the right direction if someone is tweaking the uplink and/or satellite attitude/parameters.
Regards,
John Tellick.

Yes John I have also seen a good rise in both TP1 and TP2 signal this morning. Needs to hold for a bit longer to verify exact results (and during stable weather) but my rise at the moment seems nearer 0.7 to 0.8 dB SNR up here in Scotland. Frankly not before time. The signal here has been awful for a long time despite my efforts to fine tune the dish which is at an easy head height. Fingers crossed.

Yes John I have also seen a good rise in both TP1 and TP2 signal this
morning. Needs to hold for a bit longer to verify exact results (and
during stable weather) but my rise at the moment seems nearer 0.7 to 0.8
dB SNR up here in Scotland. Frankly not before time. The signal here has
been awful for a long time despite my efforts to fine tune the dish
which is at an easy head height. Fingers crossed.

=============================

This must be from the two planned outages the notified. I guess it's from prime to backup uplink, and then back again later.

"EUMETCast ground segment maintenance today, risk of interruption, anno 5292 in UNS"

https://uns.eumetsat.int/

Folks not already following EUMETSAT Users on Twitter are missing out:

https://twitter.com/eumetsat_users

(I think you do, Douglas).

Cornish Man

Hi

My signal has been degrading for the last few months

used to get 12.4 DB's on TP1 . Now it's down to 11.2 DB on good days

I am using  110cm Dish

Jan

On 06/11/2019 10:44, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes John I have also seen a good rise in both TP1 and TP2 signal this
morning. Needs to hold for a bit longer to verify exact results (and
during stable weather) but my rise at the moment seems nearer 0.7 to 0.8
dB SNR up here in Scotland. Frankly not before time. The signal here has
been awful for a long time despite my efforts to fine tune the dish
which is at an easy head height. Fingers crossed.
=============================
This must be from the two planned outages the notified.  I guess it's from prime to backup uplink, and then back again later.
"EUMETCast ground segment maintenance today, risk of interruption, anno 5292 in UNS"
 https://uns.eumetsat.int/
Folks not already following EUMETSAT Users on Twitter are missing out:
 https://twitter.com/eumetsat_users
(I think you do, Douglas).

I remember seeing the warning of the 2 short outages but did not link it to the large rise in signal this morning.
This poor signal issue is even more ridiculous if the back up link gives nearly a dB extra in signal on TP1. However lets wait and see before drawing conclusions. If it does perhaps the prime and back-up should be swapped !

Stefano Mina

And so true! the back-up connection provides a greater sensitivity than the standard up link.
Here in Italy the snr at 15.15 utc and returned promptly as described in UNS Eumetsat, at the previous levels of -0.5db less

Stephen.

[...]

David and Douglas,

It seems I spoke too soon!
My SNR is now back to normal at 15:50 having just come in.
13.1 dB from the steady high of 13.5/6 dB earlier.

It's become cloudy here now but not rain clouds at the moment.

I reported our increases to Ops and they opened a call.
However, KP is away till the 12th so we probably won't get a reply till then.

Regards,
John

+++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 06/11/2019 13:50:42 GMT Standard Time, dsdeans@... writes:

> This must be from the two planned outages the notified.  I guess it's
> from prime to backup uplink, and then back again later.
>
> "EUMETCast ground segment maintenance today, risk of interruption, anno
> 5292 in UNS"
>
>   https://uns.eumetsat.int/
>
> Folks not already following EUMETSAT Users on Twitter are missing out:
>
>   https://twitter.com/eumetsat_users
>
> (I think you do, Douglas).
>
> Cheers,
> David

I remember seeing the warning of the 2 short outages but did not link it
to the large rise in signal this morning.
This poor signal issue is even more ridiculous if the back up link gives
nearly a dB extra in signal on TP1. However lets wait and see before
drawing conclusions. If it does perhaps the prime and back-up should be
swapped !

geojohnt@...

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for that.
This confirms my now reduced SNR from the higher level this morning.

Best wishes,
John.

+++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 06/11/2019 15:32:21 GMT Standard Time, stefanomina@... writes:

And so true! the back-up connection provides a greater sensitivity than the standard up link.
Here in Italy the snr at 15.15 utc and returned promptly as described in UNS Eumetsat, at the previous levels of -0.5db less

Stephen.

geojohnt@...

Jan,

You have a real problem with your system.

With a 110 cm dish in your location you should be seeing an SNR of at least 13 + dB.

++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 06/11/2019 15:32:21 GMT Standard Time, stefanomina=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:
And so true! the back-up connection provides a greater sensitivity
than the standard up link.
Here in Italy the snr at 15.15 utc and returned promptly as
described in UNS Eumetsat, at the previous levels of -0.5db less
Stephen.

Will be interesting to see how they can blame Eutelsat for this.
I know 0.5 dB (I am nearer 0.8dB up here) is small but when you are on the periphery of the signal it makes a huge difference.

geojohnt@...

Douglas,

Wait till EUMETSAT are forced to use the E21B backup satellite.
Up there in Scotland, you will be at least 2 dB down on what you are now.

On 06/11/2019 17:24, geojohnt via Groups.Io wrote:
Douglas,
Wait till EUMETSAT are forced to use the E21B backup satellite.
Up there in Scotland, you will be at least 2 dB down on what you are now.

It would be a lot more than 2db John as 21° E is a non starter for me at this location.