Von: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> Im Auftrag von geojohnt via groups.io
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021 16:26
An: msg-1@groups.io
Betreff: [MSG-1] TP 1 SNR reduction.

Hello All,

I see from my own readings and David's across Europe signal graphs that most of us have seen a step drop in SNR/LM at 13:00 UTC today.

My SNR is down from 13.5 this morning to around 12.5 dB with some cloud now.

Regards,

John Tellick.

geojohnt@...

Hello Hartmut,

Yes.
My SNR is down at least 1 dB but there is a weather front going over at the moment.

I've reported this to EUMETSAT.

I see from my own readings and David's across Europe signal graphs that most of us have seen a step drop in SNR/LM at 13:00 UTC today.

My SNR is down from 13.5 this morning to around 12.5 dB with some cloud now.

Regards,

John Tellick.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 06/05/2021 15:25, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,
I see from my own readings and David's across Europe signal graphs that most of us have seen a step drop in SNR/LM at 13:00 UTC today.
My SNR is down from 13.5 this morning to around 12.5 dB with some cloud now.
Regards,
John Tellick.
Folks,

I headlined this in my daily report to EUMETSAT. Previous responses have suggested that as long as the signal is above the minimum agreed level there's no need for action (by EUMETSAT). They are in the hands of their service provider, of course, they don't run the uplink themselves.

Douglas Deans

On 07/05/2021 13:44, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
On 06/05/2021 15:25, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,

I see from my own readings and David's across Europe signal graphs that most of us have seen a step drop in SNR/LM at 13:00 UTC today.
My SNR is down from 13.5 this morning to around 12.5 dB with some cloud now.

Regards,
John Tellick.
Folks,
I headlined this in my daily report to EUMETSAT.  Previous responses have suggested that as long as the signal is above the minimum agreed level there's no need for action (by EUMETSAT).  They are in the hands of their service provider, of course, they don't run the uplink themselves.

Thanks David and I do agree. Nevertheless up here where the signal is more marginal it is annoying that there is an additional 1dB (which I lost yesterday) available. We know the back-up station can provide good improvements for example.

James Brown

And even as you wrote - another small increase - possibly benefitting eastern stations more than western ones this time? From midday.

Cheers.

James

On 7 May 2021, at 13:47, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

On 06/05/2021 15:25, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,
I see from my own readings and David's across Europe signal graphs that most of us have seen a step drop in SNR/LM at 13:00 UTC today.
My SNR is down from 13.5 this morning to around 12.5 dB with some cloud now.
Regards,
John Tellick.
Folks,

I headlined this in my daily report to EUMETSAT. Previous responses have suggested that as long as the signal is above the minimum agreed level there's no need for action (by EUMETSAT). They are in the hands of their service provider, of course, they don't run the uplink themselves.

Ian Deans

On 07/05/2021 14:01, Douglas Deans via groups.io wrote:
[...]

My guess is that this signal issue is related to the Hotbird 13 degree test which is due to complete about 14.00 UTC. In fact I have just checked and the signal level appears to be increasing again, although I will need better weather to completely confirm.

geojohnt@...

Ian and All,

I see from David's graphs that many users saw a step increase in SNR/LM at 12:00 UTC to day.

I continued my check on the Hotbird EUMETCast dissemination today moving the dish a bit further away from the fir tree than yesterday but I couldn't get an increase in my SNR.

The Hotbird transponder was turned off - well, the data stopped at 17:20:49 UTC according to the TC logs - and my SR1 was showing no lock when I had a look at 19:00 BST after watching the news.
So it was time to physically shift the dish back to its original position, realign it and reconfigure the SR1.
And I was pleased to see the Eutelsat 10 A EUMETCast signal had increased whilst I was on the other satellite.