Todays missing segments

James Brown <james@...>

So far today, noticed just HRV missing segments in animator - 9.45, 11.15 and 1300.

Any others see the same pattern?

James
--
James Brown

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, James Brown <james@m...> wrote:
So far today, noticed just HRV missing segments in animator -
9.45, 11.15 and 1300.

Any others see the same pattern?
Agreed, although out of order rather than not transmitted.

David

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

So far today, noticed just HRV missing segments in animator - 9.45,
11.15 and 1300.

Any others see the same pattern?
James,

From my log the following noted as "Skipped - data is older than current data"
0600
Seg 24
0945
Seg 21,22,23,24
1115
Seg 18,19,20,21,22,23,24
1300
Seg 21,22,23,24

Plus quite a few missing segments. I guess it will be a "Monday morning" in Darmstadt.

Peter

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Benney" <tugboat@g...> wrote:

From my log the following noted as "Skipped - data is older than
current data"

That is a good one Peter !

As I was franticly browsing my images for defects, the MDM
process.log does mention exactly when this "out-of-order" happens.

Until know I counted about 29 times "Skipped" in todays log.

Last "skipped" was at 14:51 so Eumetsat may have everything in
control again.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

As I was franticly browsing my images for defects, the MDM
process.log does mention exactly when this "out-of-order" happens.

Until know I counted about 29 times "Skipped" in todays log.

Last "skipped" was at 14:51 so Eumetsat may have everything in
control again.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

The 18.30 UTC HRV segment 24 came too late and was skipped, so the problem
persists.
I'm sure it will be sorted out but it is certainly the main issue at the
moment.
Eventually I would hope that everything from a scan will be in before the
prologue for the next one is sent. Seems that the prologues are sent at
specific times irrespective of current scan files sent status.

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:

The 18.30 UTC HRV segment 24 came too late and was skipped, so the
problem persists.

You're right Douglas, back to browsing the images again as this
segment was not reported as "skipped" !

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

Douglas,

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Deans" <douglas@d...> wrote:
The 18.30 UTC HRV segment 24 came too late and was skipped, so the
problem persists.

yup, actually the 1st HRV segment came together with other 8th HRIT
segments (I am just gathering data on the second PC right now, so I
have checked the received directory).

I'm sure it will be sorted out but it is certainly the main issue
at the
moment.
agree, also because the HRV segment that forced the scan change is
actually empty! That bothers me a lot! :-)

Eventually I would hope that everything from a scan will be in
before the
prologue for the next one is sent. Seems that the prologues are
sent at
specific times irrespective of current scan files sent status.
Prologues have always been sent in between the last few segments of
the previous scan, that was never an issue. The problems lies in
data segments sent before the previous scan trasmission was completed.

I'm sure David is already mumbling on how to build a workaround in
his code... ;-)

Bye, Luca

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

The 18.30 UTC HRV segment 24 came too late and was skipped, so
the
problem persists.

You're right Douglas, back to browsing the images again as this
segment was not reported as "skipped" !
Arne,

If you are saying this is a program error, please give me the
details.... Is this the segment?

2003-10-05 18:49:29.194 H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-_________-
EPI______-200310051830-__
2003-10-05 18:49:29.244 H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-HRV______-
000024___-200310051830-C_
2003-10-05 18:49:46 Skipped - data is older than current data
2003-10-05 18:49:31.407 H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-HRV______-
000002___-200310051845-C_
2003-10-05 18:49:59.127 H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-VIS006___-
000001___-200310051845-C_

I'm sure David is already mumbling on how to build a workaround in
his code... ;-)

Bye, Luca
No,

David has written to Eumetsat suggesting that if the HRIT data must
be prioritised then make it:

- top priority: Prologue and HRV data (HRV data as it is unique,
prologue to keep the HRV scan offset data carried in the prologue in
step with the actual scan)

- next: channels 1 3 4 5 and 9 (arbitrary choice, but what Eumetsat
chose for the LRIT data)

- lowest: channels 2 6 7 8 10 and 11 (arbitrary lesser interest
channels - you might argue channel 1 vs. channel 2, and whether
channels 9 & 10 form a sea-surface temperature pair).

I have also asked that, if possible, measures be taken to ensure
that correct segment sequencing is preserved, particularly with
segment 8 (& 24) which is rather important to European users.....

(Of course, there are primary users of the service who may have a
completely different view, or be able to afford software which is
100 times as expensive that can handle these issues smoothly.....).

Ciao,

Prologues have always been sent in between the last few segments
of the previous scan, that was never an issue. The problems lies in
data segments sent before the previous scan trasmission was ompleted.
[]
Bye, Luca
Luca,

There is one relatively minor issue - the offset of the northern and
southern part of the HRV scan is carried in the prologue file.
Consequently, if a new prologue file is received before segment 24,
for example, the offset value recorded for segment 24 may be that of
the offset for the next scan, rather than for the scan which is in
progress. Usually, this only amounts to a pixel or so, which goes
unnoticed.

It is for this reason that I suggest that HRV data be transmitted in
strict sequence with the prologue file.

Ciao,
David

a_van_belle

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor" <david-taylor@b...>
wrote:
Arne,

If you are saying this is a program error, please give me the
details.... Is this the segment?
No david, it's not a program error but my mistake. I see the skipped
segment too now.
Must have had process.log opened while I was searching for "Skipped"

Have to much running over here !

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

No david, it's not a program error but my mistake. I see the
skipped segment too now.
Must have had process.log opened while I was searching
for "Skipped"

Arne,

Process.log only gets update from time to time - when a new prologue
file arrives is one of those times.

As the Late Segments are clearly causing a problem for many users, I
will add reporting of Late Segments to the program (in addition to
the "skipped" entries in the log file.

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

See, David is starting to do something to address the issue, told
you...

;-)

Ciao, Luca

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Luca Bertagnolio" <lucaberta@y...>
wrote:
See, David is starting to do something to address the issue, told
you...

;-)

Ciao, Luca
Beta V1.2.2.222 of the MSG Data Manager now records Late Segments
and includes them in the Missing Segment Reports. You can download
it from:

http://www.satsignal.net => Software, Beta Versions.

It made its first report with the 0600 HRIT cycle this morning!