Tips to get MSG image result

Daniele Guardigli

Hello,

Can you help on how to obtain the attached picture, even in the night?

Thanks

Daniele

Hugo

Hi Daniele,

This is an infrared picture of the clouds with, as a background, an image of landmass.  For example an equirectangular map like the one you use in EUMETCastView.
For the moment it is not possible to generate such a map in EUMETCastView but in Pytroll it is certainly possible... although some programming is required ...

grts,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 05:14 AM, Daniele Guardigli wrote:
Hello,

Can you help on how to obtain the attached picture, even in the night?

Thanks

Daniele
Daniele,

if you have all Meteosat-11 seviri  channels decompressed at hand that's the list Pytroll/Satpy offers as possible composites. I just attach two of them as images below. Projection type and area can be choosen as well.

['airmass', 'ash', 'cloudtop', 'cloudtop_daytime', 'colorized_ir_clouds', 'convection', 'day_microphysics', 'day_microphysics_winter', 'dust', 'fog', 'green_snow', 'hrv_clouds', 'hrv_fog', 'hrv_severe_storms', 'hrv_severe_storms_masked', 'ir108_3d', 'ir_cloud_day', 'ir_overview', 'ir_sandwich', 'natural_color', 'natural_color_nocorr', 'natural_color_raw', 'natural_color_with_night_ir', 'natural_color_with_night_ir_hires', 'natural_enh', 'natural_with_night_fog', 'night_fog', 'night_ir_alpha', 'night_ir_with_background', 'night_ir_with_background_hires', 'night_microphysics', 'overview', 'overview_raw', 'realistic_colors', 'snow', 'vis_sharpened_ir']

P.S. Adding your own composites and enhancements as well as background with Blue- or Black-Marble is possible for rather advanced users ...

Christian Peters

Daniele,

if you are on Windows with Davids Toolset (GeoSatSignal), you could do that without problems.
You can do that with Pytroll/Satpy too, but it's a little bit tricky and you have to do your own composite.
See pics (Win/D.Taylor GSS and Pytroll/Satpy)

Regards,

Christian

Am 28.12.20 um 13:33 schrieb Daniele Guardigli:

Hello,

Can you help on how to obtain the attached picture, even in the night?

Thanks

Daniele

Daniele Guardigli

Thanks! Can you help me on doing it step by step with GSS? Be patient I'm a beginner

Il Lun 28 Dic 2020, 16:10 Christian Peters via groups.io <hctpeters=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
Daniele,

if you are on Windows with Davids Toolset (GeoSatSignal), you could do that without problems.
You can do that with Pytroll/Satpy too, but it's a little bit tricky and you have to do your own composite.
See pics (Win/D.Taylor GSS and Pytroll/Satpy)

Regards,

Christian

Am 28.12.20 um 13:33 schrieb Daniele Guardigli:
Hello,

Can you help on how to obtain the attached picture, even in the night?

Thanks

Daniele

Christian Peters

Daniele,

phew…that’s two years ago I set this up.
Maybe David is the one who could describe it much better and more quick.

I think you need MapToGeo

too… and then use the background mode in GSS (Thermal channel on top of background)

I'll have a look at the weekend additional.

Regards,

Christian

Am 29.12.2020 um 07:49 schrieb Daniele Guardigli <daniele.guardigli@...>:

Thanks! Can you help me on doing it step by step with GSS? Be patient I'm a beginner

Il Lun 28 Dic 2020, 16:10 Christian Peters via groups.io <hctpeters=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
Daniele,

if you are on Windows with Davids Toolset (GeoSatSignal), you could do that without problems.
You can do that with Pytroll/Satpy too, but it's a little bit tricky and you have to do your own composite.
See pics (Win/D.Taylor GSS and Pytroll/Satpy)

Regards,

Christian

Am 28.12.20 um 13:33 schrieb Daniele Guardigli:
Hello,

Can you help on how to obtain the attached picture, even in the night?

Thanks

Daniele

Daniele Guardigli

Thank you very much for your help!