Topics

Tellicast 'reset.'

geojohnt@...

All,

I have just had a look at both BS and HVS-1 TC statistics as I noticed a gap in Metop-C's AVHRR Manger image 2020-09-07 0740 this morning across the Norway, Sweden, Finland and NE Russia section.
I run 24/7.

Surprisingly for me, my TC statistics showed no Missed Packets before FEC and no FEC Recovered Packets however small or 'large' over time since my last manual reset some days ago.
I then noticed that both BS and HVS-1 statics had reset themselves 'automatically,' something I've never seen before at:

Active Since:     2020-09-07 07:59:42 UTC

Automatic resetting of statistics only occurs when I do it manually or TC reopens when I have a PC reboot.
Since all my SatSignal programmes were still running there hadn't been a PC reboot from a possible short loss of mains as these do not automatically open on a reboot - only TC.

?????

Regards,
John Tellick.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]

====================================

John,

Check the TelliCast log file. eToken timeout?

geojohnt@...

David,

I didn't access my email's yesterday after going out so have just seen your response.

I've had a look now and only today's log appears to be showing - and only about 15 minutes of logs on HVS-1 and 6 minutes of BS logs, at that.

Ah, forget I said that - I've just found acres of stored log files in E: > EUMETCast > logs.

I'll sift through these later as I'm just about to watch the EU's daily TV press briefing.
'We' are at a critical time - this week?

Regards,
John

++++++++++++++++++++++

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

++++++++++++++++++

[...]

You were right - an EKU time out.

Specific BS and HVS-1 logs around that time of 'auto TC reset' - 2020-09-07  07:59:42 UTC attached.

Any idea of what caused that?
And, since I don't look at the log reports - and since TC resets itself automatically - does this happen 'often?'

++++++++++++++++++++++

[...]

Miguel angel Portillo

driver usb not running correct

El mar., 8 sept. 2020 a las 14:15, geojohnt via groups.io (<geojohnt=aol.com@groups.io>) escribió:
[...]

I'm glad that you've found the cause.

I found that when running one instance of TelliCast the timeout might not trigger a restart, but with two instances a timeout almost always triggers an automatic restart on both TelliCast instances. Obviously if the restart isn't triggered the result is much more obvious!

You could run Ernst's script nightly to produce a report every day for each TelliCast instance where restarts would be much more obvious. For example:

Number of messages of category ERR: 2
ERR:2020-08-04 06:33:07.660:eToken transaction timed out.
ERR:2020-08-04 06:33:07.660:Critical dongle error (EToken transaction timed out). Restarting child.
Number of messages of category WRN: 0
Number of messages of category MSG: 119538
Number of *Starting* (what) events: 5
ERR:2020-08-04 06:33:07.660:Critical dongle error (EToken transaction timed out). Restarting child.
MSG:2020-08-04 06:33:22.431:Watchdog child quits properly. Restarting.
MSG:2020-08-04 06:33:23.440:Starting new child...
MSG:2020-08-04 06:34:23.451:Starting new child...
MSG:2020-08-04 06:34:42.390:tc-cast-client starting... [6488]

Do you come here often? Perhaps about once every 2-3 months? Not enough experience with the new client and new bright blue shining eToken to say whether that's better or worse. Whether it's a faulty driver as Miguel suggests, or simply a timing taken to extreme (when all the wrong things happen at the same time) I don't know.

Ernst's script is here:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/TelliCast-utilities.html

It can save you a lot of work tracing through log files - my thanks for Ernst and Arne for producing it.

Thorsten Miglus

Hi all,

with Tellicast 2.14.6 I obseved a shutdown of dongle support after two consecutive dongle errors. I have not seen this with older Tellicast versions.
For several hours nothing was processed after this event. A restart of Tellicast was required.

ERR:2020-08-24 12:55:29.505:eToken transaction timed out.
ERR:2020-08-24 12:55:29.505:Critical dongle error (EToken transaction timed out). Dongle support deactivated.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 04:19 PM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
[...]

windows 10 64bit no errors...problem resolved new windows 10 install and last  EToken drivers

El mar., 8 sept. 2020 a las 18:42, Thorsten Miglus (<thorsten.miglus@...>) escribió:
[...]

Thanks for your suggestion, I will get around to trying this as it may well point out a more regular 'problem' than that seen recently?

I changed the logging to 'Filter - Errors - Show only logs of this level and above,' but it reverted back to:
Level - Normal (as usual) and Filter - All, apparently, when I closed the HTML shell.

So it would appear that such errors (EKU) only, cannot be be logged?

And thanks to Miguel and Thorsten for their comments.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

[...]

=====================================

John,

You can use the FIND utility from the command line to find the strings "etoken" in the log files. For example:

find /I "etoken" E:\EUMETCast\Logs\recv*

---------- E:\EUMETCAST\LOGS\RECV.LOG
---------- E:\EUMETCAST\LOGS\RECV.LOG.1
.
.

Alter the path to suit your own system. In this case there were no errors, in another case where I was continually restarting TelliCast (setting up a new PC):

---------- \\PENGUIN\EUMETCAST\LOGS\RECV_BAS.LOG.11
MSG:2020-08-24 10:52:18.768:Serial number of Aladdin EToken PRO .....
MSG:2020-08-24 14:03:16.715:Serial number of Aladdin EToken PRO .....

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for suggesting the additional things to try.
Winter is coming so I will get around to 'having a go.'
Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for your suggestion, I will get around to trying this as it may well
point out a more regular 'problem' than that seen recently?

I changed the logging to 'Filter - Errors - Show only logs of this level and
above,' but it reverted back to:
Level - Normal (as usual) and Filter - All, apparently, when I closed the
HTML shell.

So it would appear that such errors (EKU) only, cannot be be logged?

And thanks to Miguel and Thorsten for their comments.

=====================================

geojohnt@...

David and Thorsten,

I had another TC auto reset last evening which prompted me to look back at earlier posts.

I'm still using the original EKU with TC V2.14.4.
SNR OK - ~ 12.6 - 12.8 dB.

Last evenings event period logs attached.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++

[...]

========================

At a quick glance I don't see anything unusual.

As soon as you ask EUMETSAT they may say please update to the current TelliCast.

BTW: use NotePad for plain text files, Word files are bigger.

John

Last week I had a similar issue: When running 9 (!) instances of the latest TelliCast Client under GNU/Linux
I faced this "EToken transaction timeout" for the first time after all these years. It always occurred within
5 minutes from the start and I couldn't even properly stop the TC clients. I changed the USB port from
a port integrated with a Flash Card Reader to a port on the upper side of the workstation case. I also
switched the EKU from old (red) to to tiny (bright blue). This seems to have fixed the problem completely.

Maybe you can try to change the EKU USB port to begin with.

Ernst

geojohnt@...

David,

Happy Birthday!

I just thought this event went on for longer than the last one - in log file lines terms.
But then I wouldn't really know.

OK, I just used Word out of habit.

Regards,
John

+++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had another TC auto reset last evening which prompted me to look back at
earlier posts.

I'm still using the original EKU with TC V2.14.4.
SNR OK - ~ 12.6 - 12.8 dB.

Last evenings event period logs attached.

========================

geojohnt@...

Ernst,

9 x Tellicast?!
Gosh.

I'm not aware of having had this 'problem' in the past but may well have.
I run 24/7 on a single Windows 10 64, PC.

I've now experienced this twice in a couple of weeks - to my actual knowledge.
Mind you, since my 'TC's starts up again automatically,' I may well not have noticed other occasions.

It was only seeing in the Tellicast HTML shell that it had 'reset' timewise - and the statistics, which sent me looking at the logs.

Yes, I know I could log and monitor all the computer/EUMETCast logs and parameters with a beautiful set of graphs - 'and pigs could fly?'

I'll start with moving the EKU to another port if I see the problem occurring regularly.

I should really obtain the new dongle and update TC but at the moment I'm doing some missed packet test for Ops so don't want to change anything.

++++++++++++++++++

Last week I had a similar issue: When running 9 (!) instances of the latest TelliCast Client under GNU/Linux
I faced this "EToken transaction timeout" for the first time after all these years. It always occurred within
5 minutes from the start and I couldn't even properly stop the TC clients. I changed the USB port from
a port integrated with a Flash Card Reader to a port on the upper side of the workstation case. I also
switched the EKU from old (red) to to tiny (bright blue). This seems to have fixed the problem completely.

Maybe you can try to change the EKU USB port to begin with.

Happy Birthday!

I just thought this event went on for longer than the last one - in log file lines terms.
But then I wouldn't really know.

OK, I just used Word out of habit.

Regards,
John
============================

Thanks, John!

I wouldn't worry unless it happens more than - say - once a week.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 07:00 AM, <geojohnt@...> wrote:
Ernst,

9 x Tellicast?!
Gosh.
John,

I'am currently testing the latest DVB-S2X PCIe cards. Normally I receive (T1 + T2) and use 3 TC clients
for BAS + HVS-1 + HVS-2. I pushed the new cards to their limits receiving 2 x (T1 + T2) = 4 transponders
using 6 TC clients and finally 3 x (T1 + T2) = 6 transponders using 9 TC clients (on old PC HW as usual).
6 EUMETCast transponders generates missed packets because the error correction (LDPC) cannot cope
with this bandwidth. 4 EUMETCast transponders runs fine. So EUMETSAT can start HVS-3 and HVS-4 ;-) .

.

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

Do you have any idea when that card might be on general sale ?

Regards

Graham