tellicast on linux

Youssef Bennouna

Dear all,
I have installed tellicast and other software programs on a windows10 computer, everything is fine thanks to Ernst and David . Now I want to do the same on a Linux (CentOS) machine.
 I installed tellicast and the drivers of my TBS5927 following the guidance I found but then how to lock on the right frequency of Eumetcast? Is there something similar to TBS IPTools or BDADATEX for linux ? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Heiko Schellhorn

Hi Youssef

I have installed tellicast and other software programs on a windows10 computer, everything is fine thanks to Ernst and David . Now I want to do the same on a Linux (CentOS) machine.
 I installed tellicast and the drivers of my TBS5927 following the guidance I found but then how to lock on the right frequency of Eumetcast? Is there something similar to TBS IPTools or BDADATEX for linux ? Any help will be appreciated.
Everything (incl. frequencies) is defined in the config-files under /etc
e.g. /etc/cast-client-channels-XYZ.ini

You only need to enable the channel you want to receive and the software does the rest.

Best regards

Heiko

Dipl. Inf. Heiko Schellhorn

University of Bremen Room: NW1-U 2065
Inst. of Environmental Physics Phone: +49(0)421 218 62091
P.O. Box 33 04 40 Fax: +49(0)421 218 62070
D-28334 Bremen Mail: mailto:schell@physik.uni-bremen.de
Germany www:
http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de/~schell
http://www.sciamachy.de
http://www.esa-ghg-cci.org

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts,
while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
- Charles Bukowski -

Ernst Lobsiger

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 01:56 PM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
Dear all,
I have installed tellicast and other software programs on a windows10 computer, everything is fine thanks to Ernst and David . Now I want to do the same on a Linux (CentOS) machine.
 I installed tellicast and the drivers of my TBS5927 following the guidance I found but then how to lock on the right frequency of Eumetcast? Is there something similar to TBS IPTools or BDADATEX for linux ? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Youssef,

if you are new to GNU/Linux expect a huge learning curve. This project will not fly within the next days.

If you are quite experienced you should use the latest dvb-eumetcast*_916 setup script that sends all PIDs
to interface dvbond0 (all distributed twice per day in BASIC Info-Channel-1). What you basically need is:

- TBS Open source drivers (you will have to compile those)  --> TBS git repo
   If your BOX does not come up in "dmesg" you have to install TBS-firmware files
- dvb-apps  (dvbnet, dvbtraffic, femon, szap, ...)  --> DISTRO
- dvb-eumetcast (this will also install CrazyCat's szap-s2)   --> EUMETSAT
- tellicast-client   --> EUMETSAT
- pcscd     (for EKU)  --> DISTRO
- SACSrv  (for EKU)  --> EUMETSAT

dvb-eumetcast will tune your USB-Box and setup the whole path down to dvbond0
dvbtraffic will show you the PIDs that come in ... The client attaches to IF dvbond0.

There is no such thing as graphics TBS- IP-Tool or CrazyCat's BDADataEx :-)

Youssef Bennouna

Thank you, Ernst,
Your tips are always very useful. For the moment I have a part of this (Tellicast running, the driver for the tbs5927 installed, I am compiling dvblast...) and  I will start tomorrow working on the others you mentioned.
I know it's much more complicated to install the system on Linux, but what a feeling when you succeed!
I am not very new to Linux, I have some experience with WRF and some other modelling tools that work on Linux, but I am very new to Eumetcast and satellite imaging. So I have a lot to learn...I know.
I will keep you informed of my progress, If any :) I am not very young but still trying.
Thank you again

Youssef BENNOUNA
Études et Mesures les 5 Domaines

Le ven. 28 mai 2021 à 00:23, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger=belponline.ch@groups.io> a écrit :
[...]

it's a long time back I used Redhat. My receivers run on Debian or Devuan (preferred). But you sound like experienced and if CentOS is your choice stay with it.
AFAIK the top shots of EUMETSAT use Redhat and CentOS. So you will get the needed RPMs. If you already installed the drivers you should have done what this

https://www.tbsiptv.com/tbs-tv-tuner-usb/tbs-tv-tuner-usb-dvb-s2/tbs5927-professional-dvb-s2-tv-tuner-usb

video shows. If you installed and run the "Weather Research and Forcasting Model (WFM)" you might even have more than one PC standing around. Then
I recommend to use some old PC HW and do your TelliCast experiments from scratch. dvblast is a useful tool for testing but not needed for EUMETCast.
If the driver is working: The very basic things you use is dvb-apps and dvb-eumetcast. Then you should already see the IP packets arrive on IF dvbond0

Best Regards,

Ernst

P.S. Many if not most of us are in their 60ties or 70ties ... GNU/Linux is a good tool to keep your brain going :-)

Youssef Bennouna

Hi Ernst

Thanks a lot, Ernst for your advice and also thank you for the link to the YouTube tutorial. It’s much clearer now.

I will try someday to make a tutorial like this one, not in Chinese, to help others get started on CentOs.

Have a nice weekend

Youssef Bennouna

ETUDES ET MESURES LES 5 DOMAINES

Villa 176, Bassatine El Menzeh

12123 - EL MENZEH

MAROC

TEL :  (+212)    0537 01 14 41

[...]

Hello,
I followed your advice how to configure Tellicast on Linux, I had a lot of problems to install drivers, I finally changed the system to UBUNTU instead of CENTOS (advice from Steven of TBS). Now it's working (I think) I see of data flowing but I have a problem : I know it's a stupid question, where can I find my data ? I configured the cast-client-channels.ini file to put my files in the default place
target_directory=data/eumetcast/bas...
The problem is I can't find the directory data under my home.
I'll be very happy if someone could help me with this, I missed something.
Thank you all.

Ernst Lobsiger

Youssef

if the client is running as root have a look in /root/data/...

Ernst

Youssef Bennouna

Yes, that was the reason why I was not finding the data, thank you very much.
But, is it a good thing to run the client as root ?
Thanks Ernst

Youssef BENNOUNA
Directeur général

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 04:32 PM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
But, is it a good thing to run the client as root ?
Thanks Ernst
Youssef

Good question. root is the default. This makes it also easier to use ram-disks. You can change that in /etc/tellicast-client.cfg to a non root user.

It's certainly not a very good thing to have the data in /root. I use a dedicated (CMR recording!) data disk mounted -noatime -nodiratime on /srv
The whole data handling is done by root. A user eumetcast does process the raw data that he sees readonly. Exports with NFS are read only.

If you want to export the data read/write with SAMBA for processing under Windows with David's programs you *must* use a non root user.

Congratulation for getting it running! If you want bas + hvs-1 you change that in /etc/dvb-eumetcast.cfg ("E1") + /etc/tellicast-client.cfg
("bas,hvs-1"). For an optimum bas-only system you can set MODCOD filters in /etc/dvb-eumetcast.cfg ("E1BW" instead of "E1B").

Good luck
Ernst

Youssef Bennouna

Thank you very much Ernst for your help,
Thanks to all of you, I made my first step in the satellite imagery world. I am happy that this works, there is still  a lot of optimization work to do on the system to have it fine tuned as I want.
As I have all the softs of David, I want to use them to make my images and manage the flow of data so as not to be overwhelmed . Therefore, I understood that I have to run tellicast as a normal user.
I wish you all a nice weekend.

Youssef BENNOUNA
Directeur général

Le sam. 5 juin 2021 à 06:50, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger=belponline.ch@groups.io> a écrit :
[...]

some EUMETCast users with a TBS-5927 under Windows 10 seem to have driver problems and/or report many missed packets errors.
You are the first user I know that runs this USB box under GNU/Linux. It is therefore of interest how the box performs for BAS + HVS-1
under Ubuntu GNU/Linux and whether you see any difference in comparison with your Windows 10 setup that you have used up to now.

Youssef Bennouna

Dear Ernst,
I have just installed everything under the Ubuntu-20.04 Linux system yesterday and it is working, slowly but working.
For the moment I am receiving data at a speed of 0.5 Mb/s, very few files, mainly SAF products and a few EPS, but I can't receive Data_channels 1 to 6. Furthermore, the TBS does not lock on the EUMETCAST frequency (green light), maybe that's the reason why I don't get many files.
Under Windows, I was getting everything (10-15 files simultaneously at a speed of 20-25Mb/s and lock on the frequency is very easy with TBSIP or the CrazyCat soft.
So, for the moment, my Windows experience is much better than with Linux, but it's still early to say, there are still so many things I don't know how to fix.
Any suggestions  welcome and thank you for your support

Ernst Lobsiger

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 10:15 AM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
the TBS does not lock on the EUMETCAST frequency (green light), maybe that's the reason why I don't get many files.
Youssef,

have you copied the relevant TBS firmware to /lib/firmware? No idea what special file the TBS-5927 USB box needs.
At the console as root (or with sudo) check "# dmesg | grep frontend" This should finally show the box in warm state.

No lock no files no fun. At the console (or if this is a graphic setup in a terminal) check that szap-s2 is running:

As root (or with sudo) enter "# ps fax | grep szap-s2"

Then check with "# femon" whether it says to be locked
Then "# dvbtraffic" must show you the PIDs comming in
Then check this "# /etc/init.d/dvb-eumetcast status"
Then check that the EKU software is working (host_key4: ****_****_****_****) in the WEB interface.

You can redirect the output of the commands to a file and post it here or send it as a PM for me only.
There might be an Ubuntu firewall problem as well (in Devuan/Debian the firewall is unconfigured).

Christian Peters

Youssef,

I'm not sure the green light is working under Linux?
I would suggest to check Ernst commands but just for clarification, remove the „#“ , like „ femon“, otherwise you will get no output. I think Ernst just added the „#“ to make sure you do this as root user.

Regards and good luck!

Christian

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 01:09 PM, Christian Peters wrote:
I'm not sure the green light is working under Linux?
Youssef,

sorry the # is part of my root prompt (I prefer to be real root not this sudo stuff).
The firmware you certainly need in /lib/firmware/ is "dvb-usb-tbsqbox-id5927.fw".
Not sure you need anything else as the box has an stv0910 chip like the TBS6903.

Youssef Bennouna

Yes, Thanks for the clarification concerning the #, in my terminal it’s the same.

[...]

Yes, I have this firmware installed, I think that’s why I am receiving some files.

I will check tomorrow (I am not presently in front of my computer), issuing the commands you indicated and tell you.

Thank you a lot.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 02:13 PM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
Yes, I have this firmware installed, I think that’s why I am receiving some files.
Youssef,

after a review of the symptoms you describe I think your EKU software is not running:
Check command "pgrep SACSrv". If this stays empty (no process ID is returned) SACSrv is not
running. This EKU soft is linked to GTK 2.0 that might not be present. So try "apt-get install libgtk2.0"
and reboot ... A command "tc-cast-client -k" must now show the host_key_4   =  ****_****_****_****
This host_key_4 with the stars shows EKU software is running fine (also seen in the TC WEB interface).