Tellicast

Youssef Bennouna

Hello everybody,
I am trying to get data through TSL-HVS1 but the tellicast stays in the "connecting" state. I receive data through Basic service normally.
I checked the *.ini files, I also compared the bas*.in to *.hvs-1.ini, found nothing. As I am new to the Tellicast system I am not sure about parameters like "max_memory_usage", parameters like "receive_buffer_size"....
I am using a TBS 5927, I have a RAM disk of 500Mb on my computer (Windows10).
Can someone show me a way to debug this problem? or maybe send me a sample of the config file?
Thank you for any help or idea.
Youssef

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi Youssef

Do you use TBS IP-Tool or CrazyCat's BDA-DataEx?
Do you have enough SNR (it shoud be 12dB or above for HVS-1)?
Are you sure you have no MODCOD filter set (that prevents HVS-1 trafic to get through)?

Youssef Bennouna

Hello Ernst,

Yes, I am using TBS-IP Tool.

Concerning the SNR, I think it’s less, usually around 9-9.5 according to the TBS interface. Concerning the MOCODEs, I selected all the modes to avoid any filtering.

Yesterday I received some data during 5-10 minutes and that’s it. After that it stopped, I thought I made a false manipulation.

Thank you for the reply, I think I should first fix better my dish.

Do you think it’s a good idea to use CrazyCat's BDA-DataEx? Any advantage?

Best regards

Youssef Bennouna

ETUDES ET MESURES LES 5 DOMAINES

Villa 176, Bassatine El Menzeh

12123 - EL MENZEH

MAROC

TEL :  (+212)    0537 01 14 41

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 11:03 AM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
Concerning the SNR, I think it’s less, usually around 9-9.5 according to the TBS interface.
Youssef,

with SNR 9.0 - 9.5dB you cannot receive HVS-1. EUMETSAT says you should have 4dB link margin (LM) for good reception.
LM depends on SNR and MODCOD used. I apply these formulas in my monitoring (also hard coded in Ayecka SR1 firmware).

Basic service:   MODCOD = 8PSK 3/5,  LM = SNR - 5.9 dB
HVS-1 service: MODCOD = 16APSK 2/3, LM = SNR - 9.3 dB

This shows you have around zero link margin for HVS-1. With my proposed SNR of 12dB you get LM = 12 - 9.3 = 2.7dB.
Not exactly 4dB as proposed by EUMETSAT but it will work with then and when HVS-1 UDP packets or even files lost.

Below is what I have with a 1.25m dish on a rather rainy day. HVS-1 reception is possible with a well aligned 0.85m dish.
Aligning a dish is an art in itself. A good start is using the sun for azimuth (a magnetic compass is no good). Also check:

https://www-cdn.eumetsat.int/files/2020-04/pdf_eumetcast_anten_point_guide.pdf

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 11:03 AM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
Do you think it’s a good idea to use CrazyCat's BDA-DataEx? Any advantage?
Youssef,

I never had a Windows receiver. If TBS IP-Tool works for you stay with it. A couple of people including David
have reported "Blue Screens Of Death" (BSODs) with TBS IP-Tool and have changed to CrazyCat's solution.
Others have not seen BSODs and were happy with TBS IP-Tool (seems PC harware and version dependant).

Ernst

Youssef Bennouna

Thank you very much Ernst,

So it seems that my LM is ~ 3.1-3.5 for basic service and almost 0 dB for HVs-1, less than what Eumetsat recommends but it works for basic.

The first thing to do; enhance the pointing of my dish (1.2m). I will stay on TBS-IP Tools, it works for me.

Thank you again for these explanations and recommendations.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 03:44 PM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
So it seems that my LM is ~ 3.1-3.5 for basic service and almost 0 dB for HVs-1, less than what Eumetsat recommends but it works for basic.
Youssef,

with the low SNR you have even Basic Service is impaired by non working HVS-1. You should get far less missed Basic packets
if you set the MODCOD filter 8PSK 3/5 for Basic Service only. Of course then it's absolutely impossible to get HVS-1 lock this way.

So your first thing is to improve pointing. With a 1.2m dish you can do much better but it is also very sensitive. So make minor adjustments
from where you are only. A quick and raw entry of 33.9, -5.5 and EUTELSAT 10A on https://www.dishpointer.com shows Elevation 47.2° and
Azimuth 153.6° and a VERY IMPRESSIVE skew of -21.7°. You should drag the marker to your very exact antenna position in the first place.

You adjust Azimuth, Elevation, Focus, Skew. It's a must to have an SNR reading or acoustic signal in place if you want an optimum result.

Good luck
Ernst