TC error messages.

geojohnt@...

All,

I had an overnight error message the other day which I don't think I've seen before.

Lvl:Date       Time (UTC)  :Message
ERR:2021-10-14 00:54:13.085:Cannot rename file "\EUMETCast\tmp\bas\61677f41031979db.tmp" to "\EUMETCast\received\bas\default\Z_SATE_C_BABJ_2021101400000pO_FY2H_PRE_024_NOM.AWX.gz" (Invalid argument)
"Cannot rename file" - not that I look much at the error messages, just clear them.
But do some files need to be 'renamed?'
If so, why?

Regards,
John Tellick.

Ernst Lobsiger

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 01:34 AM, <geojohnt@...> wrote:
If so, why?
John,

if your tmp and received are on the same partition rename is the normal process of "moving" a fully received tmp file to the received/channel folder. This is actually done by (fast) hard links which means no data has to be moved at all. This has all been described im my documentation for MVMSG.cmd (see my latest reply for Alan). The documentation is still in the MSG-1 file secton in the MVMSG.cmd DISTRO 022 though it's rather technical and certainly not everybody's business.

IIRC we had this message a few times and it was a transmission problem on the uplink side (not sure). On GNU/Linux you get this message for every file if tmp and received is on different file systems (partitions) and nothing works!!

Regards,
Ernst

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 15/10/2021 09:34, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
All,

I had an overnight error message the other day which I don't think I've seen
before.

Lvl:Date Time (UTC) :Message
ERR:2021-10-14 00:54:13.085:Cannot rename file
"\EUMETCast\tmp\bas\61677f41031979db.tmp" to
"\EUMETCast\received\bas\default\Z_SATE_C_BABJ_2021101400000pO_FY2H_PRE_024_NOM.AWX.gz"
(Invalid argument)

"Cannot rename file" - not that I look much at the error messages, just clear them.
If so, why?

Regards,
John Tellick.
John,

This appears to have been an error at EUMETSAT, as it's been seen here and at
Arne's too. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

geojohnt@...

David and Ernst,

Thanks for both your comments.

>John,

>This appears to have been an error at EUMETSAT, as it's been seen here and at
>Arne's too.  Nothing to worry about.

>Cheers,
>David

And Ernst:

>if your tmp and received are on the same partition rename is the normal process of "moving" >a fully received tmp file to the received/channel folder. This is actually done by (fast) hard >links which means no data has to be moved at all. This has all been described im my >documentation for MVMSG.cmd (see my latest reply for Alan). The documentation is still in >the MSG-1 file secton in the MVMSG.cmd DISTRO 022 though it's rather technical and >certainly not everybody's business.

>IIRC we had this message a few times and it was a transmission problem on the uplink side >>(not sure). On GNU/Linux you get this message for every file if tmp and received is on >different file systems (partitions) and nothing works!!

Everything else was working OK - so it was interesting to hear some also saw this message at the same time.

Regards,
John

++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
From: David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor@...>
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:19
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] TC error messages.

On 15/10/2021 09:34, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:

> All,
>
> I had an overnight error message the other day which I don't think I've seen
> before.
>
> Lvl:Date Time (UTC) :Message
> ERR:2021-10-14 00:54:13.085:Cannot rename file
> "\EUMETCast\tmp\bas\61677f41031979db.tmp" to
> "\EUMETCast\received\bas\default\Z_SATE_C_BABJ_2021101400000pO_FY2H_PRE_024_NOM.AWX.gz"
> (Invalid argument)
>
> "Cannot rename file" - not that I look much at the error messages, just clear them.
> But do some files need to be 'renamed?'
> If so, why?
>
> Regards,
> John Tellick.