Topics

TBS installation query

James Brown

As part of the 'starting from scratch' I would like to try and reinstall the TBS 6903 card from the defunct machine. I am wondering about the correct order -

Install drivers (CrazyCat) and then card or vice versa.

Searched the web for any updates and can only see updated driver from TBS itself.

Cheers

James

Douglas Deans

On 28/07/2019 16:41, James Brown wrote:
As part of the 'starting from scratch' I would like to try and reinstall the TBS 6903 card from the defunct machine. I am wondering about the correct order -
Install drivers (CrazyCat) and then card or vice versa.
Searched the web for any updates and can only see updated driver from TBS itself.
Cheers
James

James, I would get the card and its TBS drivers in first. Then BDADataEx or TBS's own IP tool which I now prefer. It works fine with the 6903 and there is a version for two if you run the 6903 off a single input (as there is also for BDADataEx).

James Brown

Yes I have the software Douglas. It’s just the order. Drivers or card first.
Cheers,

JB out and about

On 28 Jul 2019, at 17:15, Douglas Deans via Groups.Io <dsdeans=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

====================================

James,

I would install the drivers for the card first, then connect the card. I note that EUMETSAT suggest the other way round, but this may result in more recent incompatible drivers being installed. Remember that there will be a separate power lead as well. I'm currently using the 1.0.0.5 driver dated 2017/01/10. This stopped the regular stream of HVS-2 missed & recovered packets (which you can still see on some other stations):

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/tellicast-lund-hvs-2.html (yearly graph).

I used to have to edit out the large bursts due to wind & rain so that this steady stream wasn't hidden. I've not done that since mid-February,

Certainly try the TBS software - perhaps it's improved since I tried it but even with extensive help from TBS they could never find the cause of the problem. Symptom, blue screen of death after 1-30 hours. CrazyCat software no problems at all.

There is a EUMETSAT guide here:

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/wcm/idc/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=PDF_DMT_794850&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&Rendition=Web

James Brown

On 28 Jul 2019, at 19:28, David J Taylor via Groups.Io <gm8arv@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks David. You confirm my opinion that card first might invoke generic Windows drivers, so I will put driver software first.

Incidentally, I can’t make up my mind whether this page suggests latest drives eliminates a BSOD or is the cause!

Cheers
James

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

From: James Brown

Thanks David. You confirm my opinion that card first might invoke generic Windows drivers, so I will put driver software first.

Incidentally, I can???t make up my mind whether this page suggests latest drives eliminates a BSOD or is the cause!

https://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25098

Cheers
James
========================

Yes, James, English can be a strange language at times, even to native speakers! Changing the driver is easy, so feel free to experiment. The only slight snag is that sometimes the crash an take some hours to occur, leading to a false sense of: "Oh, that fixed it, then!". The issue seems to be an interaction between the drivers and the TBS IP Tool, so whereas TBS provided updated drivers (including different buffer sizes for HVS-1 and HVS-2), perhaps they should have looked at their IP Tool instead.

Whatever, I suggest very careful monitoring of the logs and MRTG graphs from TelliCast, especially if you're going for HVS-2.

James Brown

On 29/07/2019 06:26, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
From: James Brown

[...]

Do you have a recollection or note of which was CrazyCat's driver file or zip file? I have quite a few in a folder marked TBS but can't quite recollect which one was CC's.

Cheers,

James

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Do you have a recollection or note of which was CrazyCat's driver file
or zip file? I have quite a few in a folder marked TBS but can't quite
recollect which one was CC's.

Cheers,
James
================================

James,

IIRC, there was an install file for his software, and then an update to the .EXE and language files alone.

Look for:

BDADataEx-setup.zip => .exe for the install
BDADataEx.1.1.4.9.rar for the update

If he has a driver, I'm not using it.

James Brown

Would you like the good news or the bad news?

The good news is that I have managed to install the TBS 6903 card in my Dell XPS system - and using the BDADataEx software with the silicon bridge I now have two extra transponders being received.

The bad news? While I was manhandling the computer I had forgotten to remove the EKU and it bent and broke completely!

I have e-mailed ops but it will be some time before I can get another working EKU I fear.

Oh well, two steps forwards, but a big one back!

Cheers,

James

Douglas Deans

On 29/07/2019 21:10, James Brown wrote:
Would you like the good news or the bad news?
The good news is that I have managed to install the TBS 6903 card in my Dell XPS system - and using the BDADataEx software with the silicon bridge I now have two extra transponders being received.
The bad news? While I was manhandling the computer I had forgotten to remove the EKU and it bent and broke completely!
I have e-mailed ops but it will be some time before I can get another working EKU I fear.
Oh well, two steps forwards, but a big one back!
Cheers,
James

Oh that is bad luck James but easily done.
Hope the replacement comes soon.

I also hope your comments at the time were befitting a man of the cloth !!! Mine would not have !

Best regards,
Douglas.

James Brown

On 29 Jul 2019, at 22:08, Douglas Deans via Groups.Io <dsdeans=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

On 29/07/2019 21:10, James Brown wrote:
Would you like the good news or the bad news?
The good news is that I have managed to install the TBS 6903 card in my Dell XPS system - and using the BDADataEx software with the silicon bridge I now have two extra transponders being received.
The bad news? While I was manhandling the computer I had forgotten to remove the EKU and it bent and broke completely!
I have e-mailed ops but it will be some time before I can get another working EKU I fear.
Oh well, two steps forwards, but a big one back!
Cheers,
James

Oh that is bad luck James but easily done.
Hope the replacement comes soon.

I also hope your comments at the time were befitting a man of the cloth !!! Mine would not have !

Best regards,
Douglas.
Thanks Douglas. Compared to a recent bereavement this is just a pin prick - but it doesn’t stop that horrible sickening feeling in the stomach!!

Cheers,
James

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Would you like the good news or the bad news?

The good news is that I have managed to install the TBS 6903 card in my
Dell XPS system - and using the BDADataEx software with the silicon
bridge I now have two extra transponders being received.

The bad news? While I was manhandling the computer I had forgotten to
remove the EKU and it bent and broke completely!

I have e-mailed ops but it will be some time before I can get another
working EKU I fear.

Oh well, two steps forwards, but a big one back!

Cheers,
James
===============================

Not quite done that myself, but interesting to see the reaction of a professional installer who managed to plug a 110V (rather expensive) piece of hardware into a 240V outlet. Or the one who didn't bother to switch off first - he needed calming down. (I was baby-sitting both).

But you can continue! See EUMETSAT's note B1.1 on page:

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Data/DataDelivery/EUMETCast/ReceptionStationSetup/Troubleshooting/index.html

To check the username, use a generic user, open the recv.ini file of the reception software (located in the Tellicast installation directory) and replace the lines "user_name..." and "user_key..." with the following lines:
user_name=eumetcastuser
user_key=9Ecast3004us
(use exactly this syntax)
You don't need to reinstall the Tellicast software to change the username/userkey
Now check if files can be received. There should be at least the files "E-UNS_Weekly_Operations_Schedule..." once per hour.
This user name allows only reception of UNS data, system updates and the product navigator.

If this is successful, go to B13 or confirm the username/password with our User Service Helpdesk.

If unsuccessful, try other sections in the troubleshooting guide.

James Brown

On 30 Jul 2019, at 09:19, David J Taylor via Groups.Io <gm8arv=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Thanks David,
Ops have kindly ordered a replacement but will look at the links you have thoughtfully provided.

Lots of other jobs to do but thank you again.

James.