Topics

TBS 6903X failure?

J R

Recently I got a TBS 6903X and a 1,25 m. offset dish with an Inverto Black Ultra (8 meters RG6 Top quality). Using Win7 i7 16gb RAM, BDADataEx version 1.1.4.9. The signal is lock, level 77%,

Quality 59/60%,  SNR 11,90 Db. EKU Ok, tuner settings Ok but after 15 seconds both Tellicast BAS and HVS-1  turn red “Could not join data channel: Missing key xxxx”. Anyone had this issue or know how to fix it? Any input is welcome.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 09:02 AM, J R wrote:
Recently I got a TBS 6903X
J R,

if this really is a TBS-6903X then it has the same Oxford chip and driver as the TBS-6909X. Graham is your man.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 09:02 AM, J R wrote:
Recently I got a TBS 6903X
.. and if it does not have the 22uF capacitor modification we have been talking about for months get a TBS replacement

Graham Woolf

Hi JR and Ernst

Im sorry Im not !!

I Have given up on the 6909X for the time being for the following reasons

1) The first big issue is the neither BDADataEX or TB-IPData run on the Windows Insider build that I am currently running and other users have come across this as well

2) This means that for testing the card I have had to re-install Windows 10 October release which I have done at least 10 times

3) The TBS6909X driver crashes a clean install of Windows 10 after anything from 5 minutes to a couple of hours

4) Like JR I had unacceptable Tellicast lost packets and at no time could I manage to reduce these to an acceptable level

5) I even had a replacement card delivered today in case the original card was faulty but it made no difference

The only way I will continue testing is if a) there is an updated Windows driver for the card or b) there is a version of IP-Data or BDADATAex that will run on the latest Windows insider build

I just cant face re-installing Windows and then restoring from a backup any more

My latest thought is to buy a second PC and install Linux (any recommendations on which flavour would be much appreciated) and install the card on that machine
and then to get the card and the Tellicast client running on that

I know there is a big learning curve involved compiling and configuring drivers etc but there does seem to be better support for Linux than Windows and it will keep me occupied during lockdown

Regards

Graham

Ibercom x

Dear all,
Many thanks to all who responded to my help, Ernest, Lobsiger, Graham  advised  me about the TBS 6903-x failure running with Windows.
I spent a lot of work (and time) trying to solve the problem, I never suspected a failure in a brand new device. I`m not very happy with TBS and I will
contact them in order to replace the card or buy a new Ayecka card.
Thanks and a very nice day
JR

Sem vírus. www.avg.com

El vie, 15 ene 2021 a las 19:40, Graham Woolf (<woolfg@...>) escribió:
[...]

Ernst Lobsiger

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 07:15 AM, Ibercom x wrote:
I`m not very happy with TBS and I will
contact them in order to replace the card
JR,

have you checked the card has the modification? If it's brand new it should! If not TBS will replace it.
With this last modification the TBS-6903X card works great under GNU/Linux. Read my report here:

https://groups.io/g/MSG-1/message/30020

Apparently it has not been demonstrated the card works for EUMETCast under Windows 10.

Best regards,
Ernst

Ian Deans

https://groups.io/g/MSG-1/message/30020 <https://groups.io/g/MSG-1/message/30020>
Apparently it has not been demonstrated the card works for EUMETCast under Windows 10.
Best regards,
What is the difference between a TBS 6903 and 6903X and why did they not simply give the 6903X a new number and stop all this nonsense about is it updated or not.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 09:39 AM, Ian Deans wrote:
What is the difference between a TBS 6903 and 6903X and why did they not simply give the 6903X a new number and stop all this nonsense about is it updated or not.
Ian,

I do not command what TBS should use as card numbers. Your question shows, that you have never read the report I just refered to. What you can easily find out yourself (with Google) is that these are completly different cards that use different drivers. The idea probably was that the TBS-6903 will be replaced by the TBS-6903X in the long run. The X also stands for dvb-s2X, something (almost certainly way too technical in your case) you can google as well. The common thing is those are half height cards with two demodulators that can be used with LNB0 and LNB1 or both in a  single cable setup for EUMETCast. One apparent difference is that I can use both cards under GNU/Linux while the use of a TBS-6903X for EUMETCast has not yet been demonstrated under Windows 10 (and may indeed not work at all, I have never tried that and certainly never will).

Ian Deans

[...]

Thanks for your reply Ernst. I did see your report but as it was headed up 6903X and 6909X under GNU/Linux, it did not appear relevant to me as a Windows user.
The reason I asked was that I am considering a PCIe card to replace my TBS 5927 which compared to the SR1 I find is a poor receiver. Indeed I could not use my 5927 for over a year as the driver would not load. Eventually a Windows update resolved the driver issue.

One thing is clear, Windows users need to avoid all PCIe cards with an X at the end, leaving the 6903 as the probable option.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM, Ian Deans wrote:
One thing is clear, Windows users need to avoid all PCIe cards with an X at the end, leaving the 6903 as the probable option.
Ian,

yes the TBS-6903 has been a good choice so far. Also the TBS-6908 which actually is 2 x TBS-6903 on a full height board.
But Windows also depends on TBS-IP-Tools or on CrazyCats BDA-DataEx. Normally the latter is prefered but as Graham pointed out
does not run on his super latest version of Windows 10 either.

Ian Deans

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM, Ian Deans wrote:
One thing is clear, Windows users need to avoid all PCIe cards with
an X at the end, leaving the 6903 as the probable option.
Ian,
yes the TBS-6903 has been a good choice so far. Also the TBS-6908 which actually is 2 x TBS-6903 on a full height board.
But Windows also depends on TBS-IP-Tools or on CrazyCats BDA-DataEx. Normally the latter is prefered but as Graham pointed out
does not run on his super latest version of Windows 10 either.

Yes I used to run a Windows Insider Preview system on my back up computer ( not my Eumetcast computer ) and would find from time to time some programs stopped working particularly the antivirus programs such as Norton, Kaspersky etc.

You were always advised not to run an Insider Preview on your main computer, but of course the concern re BDADatex and the IP tool is that this issue may transfer to the 6 monthly official Windows update and that would be serious. Fingers crossed it is resolved.