TBS6909X-V2 Update

Graham Woolf

Hi all

Here is an update on my attempt to get this card working on Windows 10 64 bit

In short -it wont . Even with a clean install of Windows 10 I eventually get a BSOD pointing at tbs6909.sys  the windows driver usually after a couple of hours

This is using the latest Windows 10 drivers 2.0.0.4 on the tbsdtv web site

So my thought now is to buy a small PC and run Linux as this is a known working solution (Ernst)

I plan to connect these two pc's together with a network cable

I have a couple of question though

1) Does the tellicast client have to run on the Linux pc or can I continue to use the Windows client

2) If it runs on the Linux client can I use a network location in my client_cast_channels file for the target directory so have the tellicast client write file directly across the network to my windows pc

Any thoughts or further suggestions would be much appreciated

Regards

Graham

James Brown

Out of interest did you try the Crazycat software?
James

On 13 Jan 2021, at 12:40, Graham Woolf <woolfg@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi James

Yes I did  but it was the card drive file that was causing the crash

Regards

Graham

john.haslam4@...

Hi Graham

Regarding point 2 EUMETCast document TD15 3.1 states<< using network drives as primary storage location is not recommended but is possible if carefully designed and a non-blocking I/O can be achieved under operating conditions>>
I will be watching this thread with interest because I have successfully loaded Linux Mint onto a retired Dell Precision T5500 that was running Windows 7 and "according to Dell" cannot be upgraded to Windows 10.
I am an absolute beginner to Linux but willing to learn although I realize that setting Tellicast up on Linux is not a beginners project!

Ernst Lobsiger

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 04:40 AM, Graham Woolf wrote:

1) Does the tellicast client have to run on the Linux pc or can I continue to use the Windows client

2) If it runs on the Linux client can I use a network location in my client_cast_channels file for the target directory so have the tellicast client write file directly across the network to my windows pc
Graham,

about everything is possible under GNU/Linux. You can also just make a DVB router and send the packets over a multicast lan like an SR1 does.
But giving up Windows that fast might not be the best option. If I see the problems Windows users have with my SatPy Starter Kit that just asks
for very basic skills I do not dare to imagine the questions people would ask me about GNU/Linux with everyone using another PC and distribution.

"That will do things to me that would make a horsehead in my bed look like Easter Sunday brunch."  (Slightly adapted from the Good Times Virus)

My advice is to contact TBS and CrazyCat and make the Windows driver (if MicroSoft allows?) work as well as the OS driver runs under GNU/Linux.
Finally it cannot be excluded that you have got a TBS-6909X card with a badly soldered 22uF capacitor, maybe you take a closer look at that as well.

P.S.  If the Windows 10 route with TBS and CrazyCat does not work (which is pretty hard to imagine) come back.
        I just gave Nigel a hand to setup BAS + HVS-1 + HVS-2 with a TBS-6903 on a 12 year old Pentium PC :-).

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

I wish it was that simple !!

I am currently running a Windows 10 Insider version and as has been noted elsewhere in this group neither CrazyCats's software or the TBS IPdata tool will run on this version

In order to test the card I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 to do the testing and after two days  it still didnt work I have restored my system from a backup

The thought of wiping everything again in the hope it might work is not something I look forward to

The easiest solution for me would be for a fix to be found for the above two bits of software so that they run under the latest Windows - either that or the next Insider build might fix the problem

Regards

Graham

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 13/01/2021 14:36, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi Ernst
I wish it was that simple !!
I am currently running a Windows 10 Insider version and as has been noted elsewhere in this group neither CrazyCats's software or the TBS IPdata tool will run on this version
In order to test the card I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 to do the testing and after two days  it still didnt work I have restored my system from a backup
The thought of wiping everything again in the hope it might work is not something I look forward to
The easiest solution for me would be for a fix to be found for the above two bits of software so that they run under the latest Windows - either that or the next Insider build might fix the problem
Regards
Graham
The TBS6903 card works, and it's cheaper, but you may need the CrazyCat BDADataEx software. The TBS drivers are OK.

See whether there are alternative drivers on the TBS site, perhaps?

Graham Woolf

Hi David

The CrazyCat BDADataEx software doesnt run on the latest Windows Insider build

Neither does TBS-IP Data

Thats the problem

Regards

Graham

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 13/01/2021 13:27, john.haslam4 via groups.io wrote:
Hi Graham
Regarding point 2 EUMETCast document TD15 3.1 states<< using network drives as primary storage location is not recommended but is possible if carefully designed and a non-blocking I/O can be achieved under operating conditions>>
I will be watching this thread with interest because I have successfully loaded Linux Mint onto a retired Dell Precision T5500 that was running Windows 7 and "according to Dell" cannot be upgraded to Windows 10.
I am an absolute beginner to Linux but willing to learn although I realize that setting Tellicast up on Linux is not a beginners project!
To clarify, there's no problem using one PC for reception, running the TelliCast software, and a second PC for processing running e.g. my MSG Data Manager and other programs. Regular Windows network sharing works perfectly.

Should you wish to avoid the large Linux learning curve, use that Windows-7 PC to have TelliCast, saving the files on that PC, and network across to your processing PC. I'm using this for both BAS and HVS-1.

BTW: I do have one Win-7 PC which can't be updated to Windows-10 as it doesn't have the required machine instruction - it's from 2003. I can try installing Win-10 upgrade and some way through the upgrade it recognises and announces the problem.

On 13/01/2021 15:36, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi David
The CrazyCat BDADataEx software doesnt run on the latest Windows Insider build
Neither does TBS-IP Data
Thats the problem
Regards
Graham
Ah, yes.

John Say mentioned that. I'm on the Dev channel and really wish I could easily change to the beta or release preview as it would be more appropriate. There's a new release next week, most likely, so try that. You /have/ reported this issue as Critical in the feedback hub, I guess?

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

Just a quick question re LNB's

I have a quad LNB (Not sure what a QUATRRO LNB is) but I only have two of the four inputs connected with cables

Does that make a difference on what mode or what tuner input I use on the 6909x

I know it has four tuners but I can quite get my head around the difference between MultiSw (which I assume is mode 0 ) and Direct Connection (Mode 1 ?)

Reagrds

Graham

Hartmut Schulla

Hi !

A Quattro LNB supports only one polarisation / range at one specific connector: LV, LH, HH, HV.

Quattro LNBs are designed tu unse with multi swwitches.

Regards

Hartmut

I have a quad LNB (Not sure what a QUATRRO LNB is) but I only have two of the four inputs connected with cables

Does that make a difference on what mode or what tuner input I use on the 6909x

I know it has four tuners but I can quite get my head around the difference between MultiSw (which I assume is mode 0 ) and Direct Connection (Mode 1 ?)

Reagrds

Graham

James Brown

I don’t suppose compatibility mode helps?

James

On 13 Jan 2021, at 15:36, Graham Woolf <woolfg@...> wrote:

Hi David

The CrazyCat BDADataEx software doesnt run on the latest Windows Insider build

Neither does TBS-IP Data

Thats the problem

Regards

Graham

Graham Woolf

Hi James

No it doesnt Im afraid

Regards

Graham

seggins2000

David and others.

I am going to shelve HVS1 and HVS2 for the time being and just run Basic service on the SR1; until such times as a build appears which solves the problem.

Regards
John

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 08:11 AM, Hartmut Schulla wrote:
I have a quad LNB (Not sure what a QUATRRO LNB is) but I only have two of the four inputs connected with cables

Does that make a difference on what mode or what tuner input I use on the 6909x
Graham,

yes that makes a difference. A QUAD (and TWIN) LNB has a multiswitch built in. It can be used like two or four single output LNBs.
A QUATTRO has no multswitch but relies on an external multiswitch (EUMETSAT thinks this is our future). The TBS-6909X has
the multiswitch built in and can directly be connected with up to four cables with a QUATTRO LNB. All this has been discussed
and published a couple of times already. See also messages #29717 and #29719 on this list for QUAD versus QUATTRO..

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

Sorry to be so thick over this

So my understanding is that

I just connect one cable to Tuner 0 of my 6909X card

I then set the card to MultiSW mode

I will then be able to receive BAS, HVS 1 and HVS2 on three of the four tuners with the card doing the switching for me

I dont need a second or third cable

Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 09:05 AM, Graham Woolf wrote:
I just connect one cable to Tuner 0 of my 6909X card

I then set the card to MultiSW mode
Graham,

NO and NO again!
Multimode (0) and QUATTRO LNB + 4 cables means that you can use all 8 demodulators that can choose band, frequency and polarisation freely.

Normal Mode (Direct Mode) (1) with a common LNB (single, TWIN or QUAD) means at socket LNB0 (NOT Demod 0!) you have Demod0 and Demod1.
This is in a Master/Slave configuration because you can only command the LNB in one band and polarisation. As stated many times we have the lucky
case that T1 and T2 are in the same band and polarisation. That's why a TBS-6983/03 can be used for both T1 + T2 with a single cable. What you
should have learnt today is that this means some extra tool/trick to connect the two demods of the TBS-6983/03/08 to the same LNB0 (or LNB1) socket.

I have demonstrated and published that under GNU/Linux and MODE 1 you can make the same trick and connect all 8 demodulators to a common
socket LNB0. This way I have shown that the TBS-6909X is capable of taking 4 Transponders of the EUMETCast type using Demod0/1/2/3 with one
single cable. I have now a couple of receivers that use Demod0/1/2 for BAS + HVS-1 + HVS-2 with the benefit that you can set MODCODs on BAS.
Apparently you have not yet found the tool to make the internal connection. Ask TBS or CrazyCat how to do that in Windows. Under GNU/Linux both
"mode" and "rfsource" are simple driver module parameters. I repeat myself if I say it's up to you to find out how this works (if it does) under Windows.
For this you have RTFM (I even attached the manual for you) and read all the stuff that has been posted and published with respect to the TBS-6909X.
This is my last post today.

Graham Woolf

Hi Ernst

This is the response I received from tbsdtv about single cable input

Hi Graham.
In the windows . you can use the multisw mode to make all adapter work on a singal input(but you need know, a signal cable input , all adapters just can search a polarization signal). you no need to use the changemode tools, it default the multisw mode.
for the linux. you can refer to this web:https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/wiki

Best Regards

So my understanding is that MultiSW links all four tuners to use any input

Regards

Graham

Ernst Lobsiger

Graham,

Chinese English is sometimes hard to understand. Multiswitch mode is indeed Mode 0 (default). T1 and T2 are in LOW Band 10.7-11.7 GHZ with Polarisation H.
As you use a QUAD LNB that also has a Multiswitch this LNB has to be told to give back LOW Band Polarisation H. This is done by BDADataEx and the card
driver that has to tell the TBS-6909X to feed the LNB with 18V for Polarisation H (13 Volt for Polarisation V). Furthermore there is a 22 KHz tone superimposed in
the case of High Band and no such tone in our case of Low Band. This means that Hartmuth, that said to feed the LNB with both SR1 receivers over a power splitter
without DC block, has even double luck that we are in LOW Band. If it were High Band the two SR1 would both output a slightly different 22KHz tone that would
produce a beat that would constantly switch the LNB between High and Low Band. If you really want to use Mode 0 you have to use the H/L entry which indeed
is marked LNB2. The big question is who tells your QUAD LNB to do the right thing. As Mode 0 is for QUATTRO LNBs I do not know whether the card does still
behave as with a QUAD (13V / 18 V on 22KHz Off / On). If it doesn't work (makes no sense for a QUATTRO) you could test a setup with a splitter where you power.
the LNB with an SR1 (e.g. by receiveing T1 on the SR1, BAS or both BAS + HVS-1) and then link the DC blocked port of the splitter to LNB2. Sounds like Good Times ...