Topics

TBS6903X and TBS6909X ready for EUMETCast under GNU/Linux

Ernst Lobsiger

Dear All

These cards are not new. You will find different versions that
have been sold for at least 2 years now. Actually Mike Stevens
(Windows) and me (GNU/Linux) tested these cards in 2018 already.
While the TBS6909X didn't work at all the TBS6903X could be used
for EUMETCast but sometimes seemed to change its temper from PC boot
to PC boot. Other highend users of "headend" had issues with the
TBS6909X too. Problems occured with VCM but also when using many
transponders. This year TBS issued a version V2 of the TBS6903X that
I tested with mixed results. A tiny 22uF capacitor HW update finally
changed everything. The fix also brought my cards from 2018 to life.

For future EUMETCast receivers I see the TBS6909X of prime interest.
During the last months I have shown that this card can receive four
transponders of the EUMETCast Europe kind with *excellent* results.
Again this is GNU/Linux only, I cannot comment on Windows behaviour.

I attach a report I also sent to EUMETSAT. As this latest HW fix is
new (it dates from August 2020) these cards have not been tested by
EUMETSAT yet and there certainly will be no Setup Guide for a while.

Impatient EUMETCast users that cannot wait to get their TBS6909X
(final version label yet unknown) should not buy those from the
cheapest place they find as they risk to get a sample without the
latest fix. It is probably safe to buy directly from the TBS store
in China that sells the TBS6909X for US$ 279.-- (price checked now).

https://shop.tbsdtv.com/tbs6909x-dvbs2-octa-tuner-pcie-card-p-207.html

The TBS CEO told me, that they have fixed all cards in stock and that
they replace cards bought earlier that customers have problems with.

Best Regards,
Ernst

P.S.
To give you an idea I let a test receiver online for some more days:

Testbed Receiver Saturn: TBS6909X V11 + 22uF capacitor hand soldered
2 x (T1 + T2) = 4 transponders / 1 cable / adapter 0..3 / client 0..6
http://5.153.116.236:82
or if your system doesn't take bare IPs
http://236-116-153-5.dyn.cable.fcom.ch:82

Hugo

Hello Ernst,

Thanks for the very interesting and thorough write-up.
There is a small disadvantage in using TBS cards.  For the moment I use two SR1 's because the layout of my house is such that the antenna is too far from my receiving PC.
I put the SR1's close to the antenna  and have two RJ45 cables coming from the SR1's to the receiving PC.
Using TBS' cards it should be possible to build a small headless system that streams the data over a network. Food for thought.
Kind regards,

Hugo

Ernst Lobsiger

Hugo,

my receiving PC is headless and managed via SSH. It can serve the files either via SAMBA (for Windows) or NFS (for GNU/Linux).

What you propose can be done as well: Take a small PC with 2 network cards (admin + multicast) and tell smcroute to send all
multicast traffic from the card to the 2nd network card. This works like 2 x SR1. Christian Peters has done that on a 55 Euro
PC adding a 10 Euro NIC (both from e-Bay). Add a cheap NetGear switch with IGMP Snooping and you can plug in more than one
receiver PC  (where you have the TC clients and EKU). Christian even had that running with a RASPI 4 with his 2 x TBS5925
as frontend. Unfortunately with the RASPI 4 he faced the "packet missed/recovered show" others also have on Windows 10.

Best Regards

Hello Ernst,

Thanks for the very interesting and thorough write-up.
There is a small disadvantage in using TBS cards. For the moment I use two SR1 's because the layout of my house is such that the antenna is too far from my receiving PC.
I put the SR1's close to the antenna and have two RJ45 cables coming from the SR1's to the receiving PC.
Using TBS' cards it should be possible to build a small headless system that streams the data over a network. Food for thought.
Kind regards,

Hugo
============================

Hugo,

Could you could use an in-line amplifier half way along the cable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Axing-SVS-2-02-Broadband-Terrestrial-silver/dp/B002BZLOYS

although with modern kit the amount of allowable cable loss is quite high.

stevens312

Thanks for the heads up Ernst, yes we did have some fun with those cards, but they work well now modified, I found the main problems lay with Windows 10, every time an up-date occurred it created more problems, but I found in the end to delete all new stuff I did not want and it worked, I have a new TBS Tuner running in W10 perfectly fine, so yes they are good Tuners.

Ernst Lobsiger

Dear All

I am pleased to report 30 days performance figures of my GNU/Linux receiver Kallisto. It's a Fujitsu Celsius Xeon with a TBS-6909X receiving all 3 services using a RAM disk.
We had a rather dry November and Kallisto has not lost a single packet. I cannot remember to have had such figures ever since we changed from DVB-S to DVB-S2 in 2014.

P.S. Please compare:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe_losses.php?period=month