SUVI

Roby <pa0038@...>

Hello everyone and happy new year.
I have recently resumed reception and I see that in the E1H-TPG-5 folder there are many files OR_SUVI-L1b-He303_G16_xxxxx
Question: are these files valid? And if so, how can the images of the sun be displayed? I've tried with Eumetcastwiev but can't find any options.
thank you

Roberto

Ernst Lobsiger

Roby <pa0038@...>

hi, I already know that page, after all it was obvious to visit the Eumetsat portal, but the example of files that are already in my possession does not help much. It's the visualization software I need. roberto

Ernst Lobsiger

Roberto,

OK you know this page! But you probably think space weather should be a "click and go" in the Windows software you use now?

Two clicks from the page you "already know" you'll find this:

https://cires-stp.github.io/goesr-spwx-examples/

and I'm qiute sure you will stop there. If not, show us your first image.

Roby <pa0038@...>

dear sir, if you don't know the answer, you don't have to answer. The "weather science" may perhaps also be of interest to enthusiasts who do not necessarily have to be experts. I received the best response and help from the Eumetsat help desk, who referred me to NOAA, and I received the software I needed. In this period we need more courteous people and certainly more doctors than "meteorologists of his caliber"

rnosborne@...

Roberto,

Your question about the SUVI files intrigued me and I have managed to obtain some samples.

They are netCDF files with a simple 2 dimensional data structure. As such, the data can be viewed as an image by a number of freely available applications capable of dealing with this type of file. Examples are Panoply from NASA, SNAP from ESA and HDF Viewer from the HDF Group. The first two can deal directly with the file as received without the need for prior decompression. You may need to experiment with colour palettes to obtain the most agreeable image.

You mention that you have already received software from NOAA. Are you able to provide any details about this in case I have missed something?

Richard

Roby <pa0038@...>

The files can be viewed with Panoply (Nasa) in win10 or with NCview. With Panoply it is possible to do a lot of processing. have fun!

Roby <pa0038@...>

Yes, the software is Panoply and it works very well, see pictures in the post. Now, with colleagues on Twitter we are discussing about creating a tool that extracts them directly from the folder and if possible also animation. We will see later, we have several things open.

Good evening and good work

Roberto

James Brown

They are excellent. Thank you for sharing.

JB

On 11 Jan 2022, at 18:52, Roby via groups.io <pa0038@...> wrote:

 The files can be viewed with Panoply (Nasa) in win10 or with NCview. With Panoply it is possible to do a lot of processing. have fun!

<FI1tqLJXMAQEHGE.png>
<FI1tY1lXoAYml7w.jpg>

Emmanuel

For your information, Joe (USA-Satcom) has written a program to process these images.
The program is able to decompress the received files, process them and delete them when finished.
It is possible to make videos and in a future version SXFR files will be processed.

For any information you can send him an e-mail: rfnoise@...

rnosborne@...

For processing single images, I find that the ESA SNAP is an excellent viewer. It has a colour manipulation tool with allows interactive modification of the colour maps to provide the most agreeable picture.

Roby <pa0038@...>

Hi, I agree. If you then use "pconvert" that you find in the "bin" folder, in powershell you can automatically extract multiple images. I used it to get this nice animation of 670 frames:

https://twitter.com/iw0ehe/status/1490083771013640195?s=20&t=jVwpk_-GOODu8TBC35PECQ

Roberto