Sun glint effects

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Folks,
If you fire up GSS in Fires Job, load ch12 for today 040111 at 0915, and
navigate to long 12.3E, lat 12.3S, you will find a very interesting scene.
In the middle of a sun glint, there are a number of patches (some small
islands) showing the red of fires. I wonder what the phenomenon is here. It
must be some form of specular reflection, to produce the apparent
temperatures necessary for declaration of a fire, but what is producing the
reflection , particularly on land?
There are similar effects almost every day. Last Sunday two complete small
islands off the coast showed up as bright red.

Best regards - Alan

Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@computer.org
web site: http://asewards.free.fr

Robert Moore

Alan, I don't see this at any level of zoom.

Robert

Quoting Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@computer.org>:

Folks,
If you fire up GSS in Fires Job, load ch12 for today 040111 at 0915, and
navigate to long 12.3E, lat 12.3S, you will find a very interesting scene.
In the middle of a sun glint, there are a number of patches (some small
islands) showing the red of fires. I wonder what the phenomenon is here. It
must be some form of specular reflection, to produce the apparent
temperatures necessary for declaration of a fire, but what is producing the
reflection , particularly on land?
There are similar effects almost every day. Last Sunday two complete small
islands off the coast showed up as bright red.

Best regards - Alan

Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@computer.org
web site: http://asewards.free.fr

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

------------------------------
Robert Moore

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Robert,
Try the following parameters:
1024x768
12 meridian, -14 parallel, 20 span
Histogram equalize, crispen
1:1 zoom, remapping enable

Good luck!

Alan

[...]

Forgot to add that you have to have Ch 4 and ch 9 in the directory of
images as these are automatically loaded by GSS in Fires mode.and are
essential to this image.

Best regards - Alan

[...]

Alan - that explains it. I had not started receiving Ch 04. I only had 1 - 3, 9
and 12 - 12n coming in. Whoops.