Topics

suitable LNB for Eutelsat 10A Eumetcast reception

fly.fechter@t-online.de

Hello,
My 125cm Gibertini dish is located near Erlangen, Germany, i.e. Northern Bavaria.
It is on my balcony.
The signal I get from Eutelsat 9A is quite strong in the 15dB region whereas with Eutelsat 10A I am struggling to get set in the 11db region.
I have already spent many hours using various LNBs in order to push the Eumetcast signal strength to at least 13db which I think
is considered necessary as a minimum.
 HVS-1 reception at around 11dB does happen with the Goes 17 ABI manager  Himawari reception is not possible.
As some of you have told me that with my 1.25m dish a 13dB signal strength should be easily obtainable I wonder
to which locations this applies. Probably those  happy users are way North of me, UK, Scandinavia etc.
It would be helpful for my final efforts to know which LNB brands they use together with their 1m and 1.25m dishes
as well as their exact locations.
Perhaps there is a "THE"   LNB on the market likely to satisfy also my needs.
I look forward to your news.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Roland

Robert

Hi Roland
sorry not and answer but I would also be interested in LMB recommendations.  My 0.1 seems to be rather deaf.  Maybe it’s me.  Am using. Very similar disk to you.

however I think my problem may be more tree related.

Robert

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]
================================

Roland,

If you are getting GOES-17 you can get Himawari - they are on the same transponder. Make sure that:

1 - You have channel E1H-TPG-3 enabled, pointing its output to your received\EUMETSAT_Data_Channel_4 directory.

2 - You have the most recent MSG Data Manager (3.1.12 or later)

3 - In Channel Selection, FSD, Himawari you have your channels selected.

The location of your dish may not be the best. The sky has a very low temperature at radio frequencies, basically because you have a clear path to space for most of the time. Fog, cloud, ice-crystals etc. will make the temperature as seen by the antenna higher, and higher temperatures can mean more noise, and attenuation will result in less signal, making the SNR worse.

It is particularly important when we are dealing with weaker signals (such as our EUTELSAT 10A) that the antenna can "see" as little as possible at ground temperatures. The LNB should not "see" anything outside the dish, but in practice it will, so behind the dish should not be "warm", nor should anything in front of the dish. Imagine a cone starting with the diameter of the dish, and diverging outwards slightly as it points towards the satellite. Any trees? Leaves? Cut them down!

You might even be better with a slightly smaller dish if it can be better located.

Thorsten Miglus

Roland,

I use the Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Click on the link to purchase one from Ebay.
In Germany you have the strongest signal from Eutelsat 10A. In the UK it is weaker.
My location is in northern Bavaria near Hof and I have more than 14 dB SNR with my Gibertini dish.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 03:08 PM, fly.fechter@... wrote:
[...]

Alan Sewards

Hi Roland,

    I too suffer from not having enough signal for HVS_1 and -2, but I have capped my ambitions at the Basic Service, and this gives me all the imagery I want except for GOES E and W and perhaps Himawari. For these I use ftp and get the exellent animations from http://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/. running in my browser. In adddition i get imagery from JPSS, which is sometimes very interesting.

Best regards - Alan S

--
Alan Sewards
--

mkempfde

Hi Roland,

I use the same LNB since many years together with a 78cm antenna in the Stuttgart region. I get a 10,4db  signal in BDADataEx under best conditions. Good enough for Basic Service. For HVS I believe a 1m antenna should be sufficient in southern Germany.

Markus
Am 24/07/2019 um 17:11 schrieb Thorsten Miglus:

[...]

Christian Peters

Roland,

I run a OP100 Gibertini with an Inverto Black and get around 12dB on Transponder 1 and 11.5dB on Transponder 2.
Located in the middle of Germany (near Frankfurt). Got receive all sats (Him8, GOES16/17,MSG-x, Metop-x, NOAA) but the headroom is small concerning rain...! ;-/
An OP125 should give a minimum of 13dB on T1 I think!

Regards,

Christian

Am 24.07.19 um 15:08 schrieb fly.fechter@...:

[...]

?? ?? ??

Herman Vijlbrief

Roland,

Last year I updated my 85 cm dish to an 125 cm Wavefield dish mounted at 2.5 m height to get better HVS-1 reception.
The Inverto Black Ultra LNB is connected with my Ayecka by an 35 meter long cable.
My SNR is between 14.6 and 15.0 dB.
The 85 cm dish had about 11.5 dB SNR.
My location is 16 km south west of Amsterdam.

I compared my LNB with a Smart Titanium Universal LNB which had a bit lower SNR of about 14.3 dB max on the 125 cm Wavefield dish.

Roland I hope you can improve your SNR.

Greetings Herman

Op 24-7-2019 om 15:08 schreef fly.fechter@...:

[...]

geojohnt@...

Roland,

Right, now we are getting somewhere.

As your 1.25 m Gibertini dish (best dish available) is on you balcony - what is in front of it?
I presume you have a 'wall' or railings, a barrier possibly glass or metal or bricks, to stop people falling off the balcony.
Is the bottom of the dish above any barrier and how far away from any barrier is the dish?

A photo/photos of the dish, balcony and view towards the satellite would be most useful.

As you are getting such a good SNR on Eutelsat 9-B it could suggest (although 9-B's transmitted power is 3 dBW higher than Eutelsat 10 A) that you dish is aligned more towards this satellite.

You will see from the attached Eutealsat 10 A power contour map, you are right in the middle of the highest signal contour.

As you will have seen, many of us use Inverto Black Ultra LNB's.
They have a good (reliable) 'low' noise figure and this model - Ultra - has increased gain compared to other makes of LNB.

With my 1 m dish, an Inverto Black Ultra LNB and an SR1, with the dish aligned on Eutelsat 10 A, some channels on Eutelsat 9-B show the same SNR (measured on a different receiver) as EUMETCast TP 1 - the dish obviously being 1 degree mis-aligned for 9-B and its extra signal strength.

As you have much higher SNR on Eutelsat 9 B signals than from Eutelsat 10 A, suggests your dish is not aligned properly?

In a message dated 24/07/2019 14:08:59 GMT Standard Time, fly.fechter@... writes:

[...]

Christian,

Just to say that you also should be getting more SNR on TP-1 with a Gibertini 1 m dish and an Inverto Black Ultra LNB.

What receiver are you using?
And how long is your cable run?

++++++++++++++

In a message dated 24/07/2019 17:58:53 GMT Standard Time, hctpeters@... writes:

I run a OP100 Gibertini with an Inverto Black and get around 12dB on Transponder 1 and 11.5dB on Transponder 2.
Located in the middle of Germany (near Frankfurt). Got receive all sats (Him8, GOES16/17,MSG-x, Metop-x, NOAA) but the headroom is small concerning rain...! ;-/
An OP125 should give a minimum of 13dB on T1 I think!

Christian Peters

John,

I think it was worsened if they switch on TP-2.
But maybe it's time again to do a another tweaking of the antenna/LNB position.
I use two USB TBS 5925 running Linux, cable length is ~5m!

Regards,

Christian

Am 25.07.19 um 12:28 schrieb geojohnt via Groups.Io:

Christian,

Just to say that you also should be getting more SNR on TP-1 with a Gibertini 1 m dish and an Inverto Black Ultra LNB.

What receiver are you using?
And how long is your cable run?

++++++++++++++

In a message dated 24/07/2019 17:58:53 GMT Standard Time, hctpeters@... writes:

I run a OP100 Gibertini with an Inverto Black and get around 12dB on Transponder 1 and 11.5dB on Transponder 2.
Located in the middle of Germany (near Frankfurt). Got receive all sats (Him8, GOES16/17,MSG-x, Metop-x, NOAA) but the headroom is small concerning rain...! ;-/
An OP125 should give a minimum of 13dB on T1 I think!

geojohnt@...

Christian,

My days of 14.3 dB signal SNR with my 1 m dish ended middle of last year.
I'm not an expert but I think that the more data that is disseminated by TP 1 widens the transponder 'width' and thereby the transmitted power is then spread across a much wider bandwidth which reduces the 'received signal level.'
Compared to a previously much narrower transmitted bandwidth channel in the aerly days of HVS-1.

Mind you I'm getting more and more sure that I've got 'increasing fir tree girth' shadowing of my dish.
Trying a new location - difficult - will have to wait for cooler weather.

++++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 25/07/2019 12:09:52 GMT Standard Time, hctpeters@... writes:

I think it was worsened if they switch on TP-2.
But maybe it's time again to do a another tweaking of the antenna/LNB position.
I use two USB TBS 5925 running Linux, cable length is ~5m!

geojohnt@...

Oh David,

If only I could.

I tried killing the ever expanding neighbours fir tree with weed killer many years ago, but to no avail. 😄

Blimey, "It ain't 'alf hot Mum!"
Ambient temperature on the patio 36 degrees but with the dish and LNB cooking in the sun, SNR and Power are are at usual levels.

Had to put a fan on the SR1.

Regards,
John

In a message dated 24/07/2019 14:49:53 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

Any trees?  Leaves?  Cut them down!

Christian Peters

John,

yes, definitely we have to wait for cooler weather!
There are also some trees which make me nervous but I think I have a couple of years before I will get a problem with them...! ;-)

Regards,

Christian

Am 25.07.19 um 15:22 schrieb geojohnt via Groups.Io:

[...]

David,
Thank you very much for your very useful detailed explications.
No luck with Himawari so far !
Tellique does show that I get HVS-1 data. However, when referring to E1H-TPG-2 data - ie. where the Himawari data is supposed to come in - Tellique shows "connecting" and "packet NAKs allowed but disabled".
Thankfully I continue to enjoy Goes 17 E1H-TPG-3 data despite my being "stuck" at a "maximum" signal strength of around 11dB.
Is there a way to enable those allowed but disabled Himawari NAKs ?
I look forward to your advice.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Roland

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] suitable LNB for Eutelsat 10A Eumetcast reception
Datum: 2019-07-24T15:49:54+0200
Von: "David J Taylor via Groups.Io" <gm8arv=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>
An: "MSG-1@groups.io" <MSG-1@groups.io>

[...]

Never seen that error, Roland. If you are running the latest TelliCast, contact Ops at EUMETSAT. Otherwise upgrade TelliCast.