Topics

Sudden jump in SNR.

geojohnt@...

Hello All,

I had a sudden jump in SNR on TP1 today from 13.3 dB to 13.7 dB at 13:51 UTC.
It is still at that 13.7/.6 dB level at 15:15.

The Power level did not change being steady at - 25 dBm.

Sky is 'cloudy grey' but not rain bearing.

It's difficult to see if this ~ 0.4 db rise was seen by others from David's signal logging.

Regards,
John Tellick.

john.haslam4@...

I currently have steady at 14.5dB. Usually 14.0-14.1dB
SR1 BAS/HVS1 1.6m dish location High Wycombe

geojohnt@...

Hello again,

I spoke too soon - always the case?

Around 15:33 I noticed my SNR was back to 'normal' at 13.4/.3 dB.

I had a sudden jump in SNR on TP1 today from 13.3 dB to 13.7 dB at 13:51 UTC.
It is still at that 13.7/.6 dB level at 15:15.

The Power level did not change being steady at - 25 dBm.

Sky is 'cloudy grey' but not rain bearing.

It's difficult to see if this ~ 0.4 db rise was seen by others from David's signal logging.

Regards,
John Tellick.

Ian Deans

On 18/01/2021 15:17, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,
I had a sudden jump in SNR on TP1 today from 13.3 dB to 13.7 dB at 13:51 UTC.
It is still at that 13.7/.6 dB level at 15:15.
The Power level did not change being steady at - 25 dBm.
Sky is 'cloudy grey' but not rain bearing.
It's difficult to see if this ~ 0.4 db rise was seen by others from David's signal logging.
Regards,
John Tellick.

John it was on the Weekly Operations Schedule that there was an uplink station maintenance scheduled for today and tomorrow, so it is likely that the higher signal, which I also saw, was a switch over to the back up station which we know has a higher signal.

On 18/01/2021 15:17, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,
I had a sudden jump in SNR on TP1 today from 13.3 dB to 13.7 dB at 13:51 UTC.
It is still at that 13.7/.6 dB level at 15:15.
The Power level did not change being steady at - 25 dBm.
Sky is 'cloudy grey' but not rain bearing.
It's difficult to see if this ~ 0.4 db rise was seen by others from David's signal logging.
Regards,
John Tellick.
It was announced on Twitter as well. I keep advising that @eumetsat_users is an account to be followed!

https://twitter.com/eumetsat_users?lang=en

geojohnt@...

David,

I meant to join Twitter after your earlier prompt.
I've just tried to join using email rather than phone and it tells me that 'that address is 'already' taken.'
???

I'll get onto Ops.

+++++++++++++++++++

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...

On 18/01/2021 15:17, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I had a sudden jump in SNR on TP1 today from 13.3 dB to 13.7 dB at 13:51
> UTC.
> It is still at that 13.7/.6 dB level at 15:15.
>
> The Power level did not change being steady at - 25 dBm.
>
> Sky is 'cloudy grey' but not rain bearing.
>
> It's difficult to see if this ~ 0.4 db rise was seen by others from
> David's signal logging.
>
> Regards,
> John Tellick.

geojohnt@...

Ian,

Thanks for this.
I'm glad someone else saw the jump.

On 18/01/2021 16:57, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
David,
I meant to join Twitter after your earlier prompt.
I've just tried to join using email rather than phone and it tells me that 'that address is 'already' taken.'
???
I'll get onto Ops.
John,
Download Twitter (phone and/or PC) and register with the user name you wish. The "Follow" EUMETSAT and whoever else you wish.