Starting out to receive EUMETCAST

Allan Sloan

Happy New Year to All.

This year I have set a challenge to set up a geostationary weather satellite system.

Looking to receive EUMETCAST and then do some PyTroll/SatPy.
I have been receiving NOAA orbital weather satellites for a number of years now.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good web site or give me some good advice on what is required.

Also any advice on what hardware will be require.

  • Dish size
  • LNB
  • DVB-S2
  • Computer requirements
I believe that dish size is important. I am looking to acquire a  38" disc. My location is Irvine in Scotland.

Also what software and licenses will be required.

All help gratefully received.

Regards

Allan

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 01/01/2022 11:16, Allan Sloan via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Allan,

Welcome to the group!

This guide may be a useful starting point, although not updated to the latest
requirements:
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html

Dish size: 1m or bigger

LNB: a good one, but one for "satellite TV" is fine. Inverto quad is what I
would recommend but perhaps there are better today?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverto-Quad-HGLN-Ultra-LNB-Black
High gain allows for longer cable length
Quad output allows for future services

The TBS5927 is popular but only handles the BAS and HVS-1 service. The
TBS6903X is a PCI card capable of handling all three current services (BAS,
HVS-1 and HVS-2).

Computer - depends on how much you want to do. Quad core or better, 16 GB or
better, no special graphics card needed.

This is just a starting guide - discuss with the group here for more information.

I offer software for Windows which some find easier than the PyTroll route
which requires more computer nous!