Topics

SR1 again. Brief instances of negative Traffic being shown on Traffic dial.

geojohnt@...

All,

I'm having a discussion with Ayeckca regarding brief periods of 'negative traffic Mbps' being shown
on the SR1's Traffic dial.

I've been aware of this for some years but it was just a 'split second' event.
Since updating to HVS-1 and the new TC, last autumn, it appears that my periods of 'negative traffic'
are becoming more frequent - and certainly for a longer period, up to 5 seconds before the dial and
pointer is again in positive territory.

TC HTML shell graph shows no break in data during this period nor is there a gap in an image.

Ayecka would like to know if any other SR1 users have seen this anomaly which they believe is/could be
caused by, the amount of data throughput in my BS and HVS-1 single system (and with 10 of David's
processing programmes running including animation.

Regards,
John Tellick.

Graham Woolf

Hi John

Yes I have seen the same more or less since I started with the SR1

Regards

Graham

Douglas Deans

On 02/07/2020 12:37, geojohnt via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Yes I have seen that since the beginning of use with the SR1. I do not continually monitor it but it does happen from time to time even when only using the SR1 on the basic service as I have done for a while.

I hadn't realised that so many people sate and watched the SR1 Console!

I've not watched long enough to see this, but I've seen a possibly similar effect on Windows (and possibly Linux) systems where the byte or bit counter rolls past a 31, 32-bit (or 63, 64-bit) limit and would overflow. Something confuses 31 and 32 bits, and mistakenly sees a large positive number as a large negative one. It's a rate display, isn't it, so:

rate = (new-value - old-value) / time-interval

<new-value> incorrectly seen as negative. I suspect it's purely a cosmetic effect in the display routine rather than any malfunction in the device. I wonder whether this has already been fixed? My Console says (1.01b491) in the window title - what version shows the erroneous behaviour? Oh, I see John's is the same.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 04:38 AM, <geojohnt@...> wrote:
Since updating to HVS-1 and the new TC, last autumn, it appears that my periods of 'negative traffic'
are becoming more frequent - and certainly for a longer period, up to 5 seconds before the dial and
pointer is again in positive territory.

John

What I cited  fits exactly to Davids explanation. With increased traffic you have now more frequent overflows.
I had similar things under GNU/Linux when I updated my rrd from ifconfig with 4 Byte counters back in 2014.

geojohnt@...

Graham, Douglas, David and Ernst,

Thanks for you notifications and information.

'Good' to know that I'm not the only user to have seen this.
I can be so brief and infrequent(?) an event, that many might not have noticed it.
I just happen to see it as I can see the SR1 controller dials whilst working on another computer.

Thanks again,
John.

_._,_._,_