Sorting incoming files into YY/MM/DD on Linux server

icu8472@...

Hi all,

I finally have my EUMETCAST system back up and running after a long break of 10 years, however this time I am running the tellicast server headless with Ubuntu.
Setup is an old i7, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD for OS, 2x 2TB HDD for data (currently only using one for BAS and HVS-1)

I have configured it to sort the BAS and HVS-1 data into separate directories for each channel, but would also like each to be sorted by YY/MM/DD.
I am hoping this will also especially help with long load times when syncing EUMETCASTView over the network from my Windows PC acting as a client, which also causes dropped data at that specific moment as the HDD is being read.

Just hoping if anyone has any advice on how to achieve this? I did search, but could not find anything on a Linux setup. Many thanks.

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi,

Hugo used to have an application called EumetcastWatcher. This seems to have been replaced by EumetcastDirUpdate (old name still exists in *.ini).

https://github.com/hvanruys/

No idea whether and where you get a GNU/Linux compiled version. As this uses QT C++ I have written my own homebrew pure C program (CLI only).
I hesitate to distribute this code here but it has worked fine for years. Recently Alan Curnow has written a more sophisticated version in C++ (CLI only).

If you know at least some C or C++ it should not be too difficult to brand your own. One important thing to consider is whether you move or copy the files.
Under GNU/Linux you cannot move the files from one filesystem to the other. I do copy and delete from RAM disk to HDD. If you just move within the same
HDD partition, you can use move (rename). That does not move any data but just adapts the file naming part (hard links), which of course is much faster.

Heiko Schellhorn

Hi

Just hoping if anyone has any advice on how to achieve this? I did search, but could not find anything on a Linux setup. Many thanks.
How about a simple cronjob doing this for you ?

Best

Heiko

Dipl. Inf. Heiko Schellhorn

University of Bremen Room: NW1-U 2065
Inst. of Environmental Physics Phone: +49(0)421 218 62091
P.O. Box 33 04 40 Fax: +49(0)421 218 62070
D-28334 Bremen Mail: mailto:schell@...
Germany www:
http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de/~schell
http://www.tropomi.eu
http://www.esa-ghg-cci.org

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts,
while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
- Charles Bukowski -