Topics

Solar outage.

geojohnt@...

All,

I don't like that Americanism - but I guess it's shorter than Sun/satellite/dish co-linearity?

Today was my maximum co-linearity day and I videoed both BS and HVS-1 graphs along with the SR1 Es/No dial during the whole event.
Of course if I had had Ernst's complete suite of logging graphs that would have been great, but .....

One interesting event was after I had come out of co-linearity and my SNR back to previous levels, my SNR then started to increase step by step and suddenly  there was a sudden NOT LOCKED warning for 6 seconds.
At this time both NE Austrian uplink stations were well inside the - 6 dB SNR degradation cone.

My TP 1 SNR before co-linearity 13.2 DB.

Around this 'NOT LOCKED event' SNR was:

11:10:35 - 13.2
11:10:50 - 13.3
11:11:04 - 13.4
11:11:18 - 13.5

11:11:22 to 11:11:28 NOT LOCKED.

Yet both BS and HVS-1 Tellicast graphs didn't show any break in data.

Attached screen shot of my predicted outage.
The red line is the 'line of maximum co-linearity,' and NE Austria is 'quite close.'

Regards,
John Tellick.

geojohnt@...

All,

I forgot to say that when my SNR came back from NOT LOCKED, it was 13.1 dB for a while then back to 13.2.

Also forgot to send the attachment - thinking too much about a bit of lunch.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[...]

Oh for goodness sake?!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[...]

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

[...]

John,

The outage logging software is all mine, not Ernst (who you likely make a better job of it!). The uplink stations adjust their uplink power to keep the output power from the satellite constant, as far as possible, so Austria shouldn't come into it (they would surely rely primarily on on-board telemetry).

I would not expect an "unlocked" event, and I've not monitored in such detail. Is there anything in the TelliCast log suggesting a "real" disconnection, or is it maybe a "sensor" error? The only thing I can wonder is whether the gain in the receiver is stepping up, as the total signal level (wanted + solar noise) is gradually dropping. But I don't think the total changes enough to matter, and in any case if it was a stepping issue you would see that in routine operation. What is the nominal signal level shown by the Ayecka SR1?

Has anyone else seen this?

The date caption in the plot shows both 2019 and 2020, by the way!

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for your comments.

Oooops - data logging!
Sorry, slapped wrists for me.

Since the BS and HVS-1 TC data graphs didn't show a 6 second break in data I'm presuming that this NOT LOCKED SR1 event (and other more brief events I see now and again) are related to the 'negative data Traffic reading' events I get fairly frequently on my SR1 Controller dials - which Ayecka couldn't sort out?

I videoed yesterday's outage again this time also including the SR1 Telnet receiver status readings and need to check both for 'figures' as to when HVS-1 was lost and gained again and for how long.

Attached screen shot of maximum outage yesterday, the the Sun was 0.32 degrees 'below' the satellite according to WXtrack.

HVS-1 is in negative link margin and BS + 1 dB link margin with SR1 SNR 6.9 dB.
After outage TC HVS-1 showed 202 missed packets and 2 recovered, BS showed no missed or recovered packets and SR1 showed no bad frame or bad packet count.

Yes, I too noticed the the 'outage cone' website had UTC OK but BST 'a year out.'
I will send them a note.

Oh, I'll have a look at my logs for the NOT LOCKED event.

++++++++++++++++++++

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...

[...]

Normal signal level (SNR?) at that time of day is 13.2 - 13.1 dB.

If you mean Power, then -25.0 dBm.

Interestingly(?) my decrease in SNR was slightly worse by a couple of decimal points on the day after my closest co-linearity.
Both your WXtrack and Sun Outage Visualiser Simulation agreed on the degree of co-linearity on both days.
Which might lead one to conclude that my dish elevation is slightly out?
But given that my clear sky SNR with a 1 m dish is usually 13.2 dB +/- 0.1 dB, I don't think there is much wrong with the alignment.
Certainly not enough to adjust the dish to try to gain an extra 0.2 dB SNR.

Attached a screen shot the day after my predicted maximum outage showing SNR, BS and HVS-1 parameter readings.

And the BS and HVS-1 TC logs for the 6 second period of the SNR showing NO LOCKED.

Have I said this before(?) I'm beginning to think that this NOT LOCKED indication every now and again by the SR1 Controller is an anomaly related to my fairly frequent indication of negative Traffic.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John,

[...]

==============================

John,

I had wondered whether the power level was too high, but I don't think so at -25 dBm.

Yes, that's why I plot these things. An offset in days of maximum suggests an elevation offset, and one in time an azimuth error (skewed, of course to the ecliptic (IIRC)).

Thanks for the text log (but no the RTF one). I can't see any errors there, so perhaps this "not locked" is a sensor error rather than a real issue? Would be nice to hear from someone else seeing this error.

geojohnt@...

David,

Yes, sorry about the RTF - I don't know how I manged to get logs of 'both flavours.'

TW, I got a couple of 12 volt 3 amp mains adaptors from CPC today and the new one for the SR1 runs very much cooler than the old 12 v 2 amp adaptor.

Twitter: @gm8arv