Topics

Solar outage.

geojohnt@...

All,

The UK and Europe are going through their spring solar outage period and having commented on my own experiences,
David raised an important point, which I hadn't considered.
The sun isn't a point source.

This is something to think about when observing solar outage times?
I wondered if any member knew the 'width' of the sun from our point of view.

Having Googled it, I see that it is 0.5 degrees which means it (limb from limb) takes 2 minutes to pass the 'point source'
of Eutelsat 10A?
Or rather the satellite and Earth takes that time to 'move across' the sun's position.
And we have to allow, of course, for the beamwidth of our antenna as we know.