SNR alterations

James Brown

I am getting quite frustrated now with all the transponder variations. The latest one yesterday has had a severe detrimental effect on those like myself who are on the western side of Europe. And it even appears that there may have been a new gain for some on the east today.

There seems little point in reporting it to ops as there seems to be so much uncertainty as to what they regard as acceptable in their relationship with the satellite operators.

Disappointing.

James.

Ian Deans

On 19/07/2021 22:52, James Brown wrote:
I am getting quite frustrated now with all the transponder variations. The latest one yesterday has had a severe detrimental effect on those like myself who are on the western side of Europe. And it even appears that there may have been a new gain for some on the east today.
There seems little point in reporting it to ops as there seems to be so much uncertainty as to what they regard as acceptable in their relationship with the satellite operators.
Disappointing.
James.

James I have to report the same. Yesterday I saw a further drop in the signal in clear conditions to about 12.0/12.2 keeping in mind I would expect 12.9/13.1 during the day and if I was running during the night a little higher.

I am 99% certain my dish alignment is fine ( I check this once a year ) but I cannot check this at the moment because I do not have a finite signal to aim for. I checked the LNB skew but that made no difference as it was at its best.

As you say it is disappointing as the signal drop is significant.

geojohnt@...

Hello James,

You and me both - and several others.

Yesterday afternoon my SNR was - and I know I've said this before - all over the place.

Now, the atmosphere might be very turbulent at the moment causing these swings.
If only there was website that gave predictions/observations on the current electrical state of the atmosphere.
But I have to say that I'm also monitoring the SNR of some E 10-A TV channels and their SNR is fairly steady - only altering by a couple of decimal points.

At one point yesterday, my SNR went from 11.8 dB to 14.00 dB in an instant then back down to anything between 12.6 and 13.4.
Up and down like a yo-yo.

At 09:15 UTC it's slowly declining and is now 13.00/12.9 dB

Regards,
John

I am getting quite frustrated now with all the transponder variations. The latest one yesterday has had a severe detrimental effect on those like myself who are on the western side of Europe. And it even appears that there may have been a new gain for some on the east today.

There seems little point in reporting it to ops as there seems to be so much uncertainty as to what they regard as acceptable in their relationship with the satellite operators.

Disappointing.

James.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 19/07/2021 22:52, James Brown wrote:
I am getting quite frustrated now with all the transponder variations. The latest one yesterday has had a severe detrimental effect on those like myself who are on the western side of Europe. And it even appears that there may have been a new gain for some on the east today.
There seems little point in reporting it to ops as there seems to be so much uncertainty as to what they regard as acceptable in their relationship with the satellite operators.
Disappointing.
James.
James, I feel it's always worth reporting to Ops. They have no way of knowing what the signal levels and link-margin are outside their own stations, and I don't think there are any this far north or west! Let's at least keep them informed.

James Brown

Another dip from 0645 this morning even for Edinburgh!

Wonder why some of the graphs don’t seem to update very often?

Cheers.

JB

On 20/07/2021 11:16, James Brown wrote:
Another dip from 0645 this morning even for Edinburgh!
Wonder why some of the graphs don’t seem to update very often?
Cheers.
JB
James,

For several years now I notice that in the summer, when the dish/LNB is illuminated by the sun early in the morning, the SNR drops. I out this down possibly to the cap of the LNB being warm, or dirt on that cap becoming warm. So when reporting I try to discount such effects as far as I can.

When preparing my daily report, I see the same scattered lack of updates, which I try to resolved with a Ctrl-F5. I'm unsure why this happens, but I suspect browser caching might have something to do with it!

tatuta constantin

Hi

Looks like Eumetcast is testing Hotbird 13.0E at 11354 V,33000,23,16aPSK,Multi 1-Pid-610.
Look:

Best Regards

On 20 Jul 2021, at 15:12, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

On 20/07/2021 11:16, James Brown wrote:
Another dip from 0645 this morning even for Edinburgh!
Wonder why some of the graphs don’t seem to update very often?
Cheers.
JB
James,

For several years now I notice that in the summer, when the dish/LNB is illuminated by the sun early in the morning, the SNR drops. I out this down possibly to the cap of the LNB being warm, or dirt on that cap becoming warm. So when reporting I try to discount such effects as far as I can.

When preparing my daily report, I see the same scattered lack of updates, which I try to resolved with a Ctrl-F5. I'm unsure why this happens, but I suspect browser caching might have something to do with it!

It’s possible David but I tend to monitor on an iPad or iPhone. But I wonder if you initiated something at your end as there was a sudden crop of catch-ups.

At the moment my levels I judge are where they were at this time of the year last year.

Wonder if the management are considering a switch to another bird in the light of the test reported today?

All the best.

James.

geojohnt@...

James,

My levels are down on my long term levels by around 0.3 dB I guess.
A couple of days before the recalibration they were back to normal and a couple of days after the calibration.
But not now.
Of course there is still a diurnal variation - but difficult to see at times with all the frequent stepping which at the moment at 21:00 UTC is between 13.1 dB and 13.8 dB with the odd 12.9 every now and again.

Power level is again stepping by 1 dBm which it never used to.

The other thing is that my SNR is so volatile at times varying by 1 dB that it's impossible to try to realign the dish.
For instance, at 15:15:40 my SNR went from a brief drop to 12.1 back up to 13.4 in one step.

At 14:59:35 my SNR dropped to 9.5 dB for a while resulting in an error:

WRN: 2021-07-20 15:00:16.957 Failed to open data channel E1H-TPG2, address 224.223.223.3:7015 no data received from sender.

My Traffic meter at this time bumbling along around 10 Mbps or less till the SNR recovered.

On 20/07/2021 19:25, James Brown wrote:
It’s possible David but I tend to monitor on an iPad or iPhone. But I wonder if you initiated something at your end as there was a sudden crop of catch-ups.
At the moment my levels I judge are where they were at this time of the year last year.
Wonder if the management are considering a switch to another bird in the light of the test reported today?
All the best.
James.
I must admit to not knowing how to do a Ctlr-F5 on Safari - perhaps there's an equivalent if Firefox is installed. Perhaps an Apple enthusiast can help? I doubt whether me doing a Ctlr-F5 would have affected anything.

I was wondering about a transponder switch as well, but perhaps the other bird will be earmarked for TP3 and TP4!

geojohnt@...

James, Ian and David,

Just to say that my SNR today is much less turbulent than yesterday.

Power is stable at -25 dBm.
SNR at 14:20 UTC varying from 12.8/.9 to 13.3 with the odd 12.6 every now and again.

Yesterday's vast level in stepping (1 dB at times) isn't happening today.

But overall 'normal SNR level' is still a bit low compared to pre calibration exercise long term level.

If and when the SNR settles down, I'll have a go at tweaking the dish.

>> Another dip from 0645 this morning even for Edinburgh!
>> Wonder why some of the graphs don’t seem to update very often?
>> Cheers.
>> JB
>
> James,
>
> For several years now I notice that in the summer, when the dish/LNB is illuminated by the sun early in the morning, the SNR drops.  I out this down possibly to the cap of the LNB being warm, or dirt on that cap becoming warm. So when reporting I try to discount such effects as far as I can.
>
> When preparing my daily report, I see the same scattered lack of updates, which I try to resolved with a Ctrl-F5.  I'm unsure why this happens, but I suspect browser caching might have something to do with it!
>
> Cheers,
> David
> --

It’s possible David but I tend to monitor on an iPad or iPhone. But I wonder if you initiated something at your end as there was a sudden crop of catch-ups.

At the moment my levels I judge are where they were at this time of the year last year.

Wonder if the management are considering a switch to another bird in the light of the test reported today?

All the best.

James.

James Brown

Thanks John
Incidentally a mass of lost and recovered packets on hvs2 since about 1300.

JB

On 21/07/2021 17:07, James Brown wrote:
Thanks John
Incidentally a mass of lost and recovered packets on hvs2 since about 1300.
JB
Reported to EUMETSAT.

James Brown

JB

On 21 Jul 2021, at 19:12, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

On 21/07/2021 17:07, James Brown wrote:
Thanks John
Incidentally a mass of lost and recovered packets on hvs2 since about 1300.
JB
Reported to EUMETSAT.

Many thanks David.
Cheers,