Topics

Sky2PC USB

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

I have just installed Sky2PC USB replacing my original Sky2PC Rev 2.3. This should eliminate the IRQ quandry. The unit from Timestep came with the 4.2.2. driver/software package but I have downloaded and installed V4.2.8.

Set4PC now show Quality at 96-100% and SNR 16.9 compared with 46% and 8.5 with the 4.2.2 software.

Peter

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., "Peter Benney" <tugboat@g...> wrote:
I have just installed Sky2PC USB replacing my original Sky2PC Rev
2.3. This should eliminate the IRQ quandry. The unit from Timestep
came with the 4.2.2. driver/software package but I have downloaded
and installed V4.2.8.

Changing the drivers may not have been a wise move. With the PCI
card, the V4.2.8 drivers have caused me major problems. Indeed,
having contacted about the problems their advice included trying the
older drivers...which I now use with the V2.6B PCI card.

Set4PC now show Quality at 96-100% and SNR 16.9 compared with 46%
and 8.5 with the 4.2.2 software.

... which appears to be completely meaningless, sadly. Do be sure
that when anyone reports signal levels you specify the DVB receiver
(V2.3 , V2.6B or USB) and the driver version in use.

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Eliminate the IPQ quandary???? Not really. The USB passes its data to the
CPU via an IRQ, usually shared with other system hardware. And you don't
have any option to change it!

Best regards - Alan

I have just installed Sky2PC USB replacing my original Sky2PC Rev 2.3.
This should eliminate the IRQ quandry. The unit from Timestep came with the
4.2.2. driver/software package but I have downloaded and installed V4.2.8.

Set4PC now show Quality at 96-100% and SNR 16.9 compared with 46% and 8.5
with the 4.2.2 software.

Peter

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

Eliminate the IPQ quandary???? Not really. The USB passes its data to the
CPU via an IRQ, usually shared with other system hardware. And you don't
have any option to change it!
My quandry was the B2C2 sharing IRQ18 with the onboard NIC, this is no longer the case with the USB Host Controller with IRQ21.

Peter

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

Changing the drivers may not have been a wise move. With the PCI
card, the V4.2.8 drivers have caused me major problems. Indeed,
having contacted about the problems their advice included trying the
older drivers...which I now use with the V2.6B PCI card.
I have not encountered any problems so far. The only thing I have noticed is the difference in Quality and SNR which as you say appear meaningless although more in line with those on my Digital STB.

Peter

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I have not encountered any problems so far. The only thing I have
noticed is the difference in Quality and SNR which as you say appear
meaningless although more in line with those on my Digital STB.

Peter
I found that the USB dongle was very unreliable on the one system I
tested with the V2.4.8 drivers. For no apparent reason, the light
on the dongle would go out and no data would be received. The
system could be revived simply by unplugging and re-inserting the
dongle (if you happened to be near the PC at the time), but the lost
data was gone for ever.

OK, it is uncertain what the exact problem was - on that system I am
now running a 1m USB extension cable (having the dongle visible at
the front of the PC it's much easier to check the status, but was
there an issue before with bad contact?), and I am running a
replacement dongle. However, the first dongle now seems to be
running OK on a backup PC (also with the V4.2.2 drivers).

That, coupled with the odd CPU utilisation pattern, says to me steer
clear of V4.2.8.

Alan Sewards <alan.sewards@...>

Peter,
The IBM PC design only had 15 IRQs. Where have the extra ones some from?
Both my systems have only 15.

Best regards - Alan

Eliminate the IPQ quandary???? Not really. The USB passes its data to
the
CPU via an IRQ, usually shared with other system hardware. And you don't
have any option to change it!
My quandry was the B2C2 sharing IRQ18 with the onboard NIC, this is no
longer the case with the USB Host Controller with IRQ21.

Peter

Peter Benney <tugboat@...>

The IBM PC design only had 15 IRQs. Where have the extra ones some from?
Both my systems have only 15.
Alan,

Here are the IRQs on my RX PC as per System Information. The Sky2PC USB is the only device on USB at the moment.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2008 Mhz

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
IRQ 12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 RADEON 9000 Series OK
IRQ 18 Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC OK
IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM) OK

Cheers,

Peter