Topics

Signal

Ian Deans

I suspect that Eumetsat were using their backup station this morning when I started up. In poor conditions in the east coast of Scotland with low cloud, Haar and drizzle I saw a marked increase in my signal up to 13.1 SNR surprising in these poor conditions and probably even higher in better conditions.

At about 10.55 UTC ( 11.55 BST ) I saw a small packet loss on the basic service and when I checked the signal it was back down to the poor levels we have come to accept ( about 12.4/12.5 SNR). I suspect that was the swap back from their backup station.

We have seen this before with the higher signal from the other station and it is a bit frustrating.

I suspect that Eumetsat were using their backup station this morning
when I started up. In poor conditions in the east coast of Scotland with
low cloud, Haar and drizzle I saw a marked increase in my signal up to
13.1 SNR surprising in these poor conditions and probably even higher in
better conditions.

At about 10.55 UTC ( 11.55 BST ) I saw a small packet loss on the basic
service and when I checked the signal it was back down to the poor
levels we have come to accept ( about 12.4/12.5 SNR). I suspect that was
the swap back from their backup station.

We have seen this before with the higher signal from the other station
and it is a bit frustrating.

Confirmed on TP1, Ian, although not the same obvious increase on TP2.

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe_link_margin.php

When I've asked EUMETSAT in the past they say the provision of agreed levels is up to the satellite service supplier. A pity that we can't have the greater level as the default!