Setup help please

a_van_belle

Ian wrote:
.... However there are people who are using the original Tellique software that don't have the TV problem which does suggest that OS or set-up may play a part.

You're right Ian, installing an MSG system basically comprimiss 3 steps:
1 Installing the Skystar 2 driver ( Skynet.inf )
2 Installing the setup4PC and additional tools (like TV4PC)
3 Installing the tellique client.

The first released (T-Systems Eumecast) CDROM does step 1 and 2 but does not install TV4PC. And if you already installed from the original Skystar CDROM, this was removed before.

I did step 1 and 2 from the skystar CDROM and only added the tellique client from the T-systems CDROM.
This offers te possibility to do TV receive and MSG. But you have to set data services, PID's and so on manually, as described in EUM TD15.
And in some occasions I had problems switching back to MSG reception.
This is because 3 other dataservices are predefined too ( SatATonce, EOL and T-DSL). You can prevent this by removing these services, so after TV receive you always default to Eumetcast Data service.

If you do steps 1 to 3 from the T-systems supplied CDROM, the correct dataservice is predefined automatically. But PID's have to be added manually.

I don't have the Eumetsat supplied CDROM , but based on the messages I assume they improved the way that Tellique is installed and may have added TV4PC.

I did compare the Skystar 4.2.2 CDROM with the 4.2.2b, only minor differences, only solving the Mediaplayer9 on XP systems problem.
My T-systems Eumetcast CDROm uses the same drivers as Skystar 4.2.2

So the possibilities are present in all hardware versions (Skystar2 rev1.3 and 2.6B), and on every OS, but the order in which you install is important.

Just a remark for W98/ME users, if you miss more segments (compared to others), check your recv.log in the Tellique folder. Look for the word "buffer" .
This OS has a problem with a receive buffer. The buffer is defined too small and I have not seen any solution to enlarge this buffer under W98/ME.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

With modern computers. OS and the complexities of the various set-ups people
have, trying to get to the root of any problem is probably near impossible.
All part of the fun of the hobby !!

Regards

Ian

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 01-10-03 19:35:24 GMT Daylight Time,
david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

Oh, and moving the card is a sure way of loosing an afternoon in
subsequent re-configuration....something else that should be in the
FAQ!

David and All,

For those of us YET to install our SkyStar cards (never mind purchase the new
computer to put it in) could somebody please give chapter and verse as to
just
where the SkyStar card should (preferably) be installed - (with all this user
experience) - despite 'overheating' and what installation instructions state?

As you say, more info for the FAQ's document.

For those of us YET to install our SkyStar cards (never mind
purchase the new
computer to put it in) could somebody please give chapter and
verse as to
just
where the SkyStar card should (preferably) be installed - (with
all this user
experience) - despite 'overheating' and what installation
instructions state?

My advice - not chapter and verse, please note - is:

- locate a PCI slot with no card on either side of it

- remove the back panel blanking plates from the adjacent empty
slots to try and improve the air flow over the DVB card

- install the card

That worked for me - if your computer is at all "hot" because of hot
hard disks, overclocked CPU, supa-dupa graphics card etc. - you may
need added cooling.

Now a question for everyone else: what happens if the card gets too
hot - how do you detect this?

Ian S Deans <ian@...>

John,

To be brutally honest I really don't think it matters that much. What is
pobably more important is avoiding having to move the card.

I stuck mine into the only available slot left in my 1200 Athlon without the
slightest problem and it is working fine. Yes there is a bit of heat but no
more than you get on a normal digital satellite receiver. If it packs up
after a year I'll get another one -- I will have had my monies worth as many
other cards available are 3 times its price.

Regards

Ian

Robert Moore

John, as an inexpert person in this field I just stuck my card in the available
slot that was further from any other (I think there is one vacant space between
the card and next). I had a terrible time getting started mainly because I was
hopeless at IP addresses and new to networking (and I had a stupid firewall
which I replaced). But once up and running I left the PC on the floor in a
corner and it has now been running for ... it sems like forever now ... with no
overheating, no hitches, 24 hours a day seven days a week and right through the
hot weather spell.
These comments may not be helpful but I hope they are reassuring!
Robert

Quoting johnrigsec@aol.com:

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>

Now a question for everyone else: what happens if the card gets too
hot - how do you detect this?

The dog's coughing when you get back home !!

Bur seriously it is a fair point. And what is too hot. I know what my
SKY box feels like.
I think Ian's point is a fair one. Although this card gets a tremendous
write up it is extremely cheap by comparison with others. I would not like
to have to replace a full HRIT or LRIT receiver but this card is less than
most cheap graphics cards.... not that I don't hope it will last for many
years.

Robert Moore

Back in the days when we were running Windows 3.1 I'm sure I read an article
about tappping into a temperature sensor that was found inside some PCs so that
you could have a bleep (or indeed a dog-cough) when the card reached a certain
temperature - or maybe you could just arrange to have the power switched off
... I forget which now. But surely most PCs will have some kind of heat sensor
- EC regulations surely cover this as a safety measure?
Does anyone have time to search the web on this one?

Robert

Quoting Douglas Deans <douglas@dsdeans.freeserve.co.uk>:

Now a question for everyone else: what happens if the card gets too
hot - how do you detect this?

The dog's coughing when you get back home !!

Bur seriously it is a fair point. And what is too hot. I know what my
SKY box feels like.
I think Ian's point is a fair one. Although this card gets a tremendous
write up it is extremely cheap by comparison with others. I would not like
to have to replace a full HRIT or LRIT receiver but this card is less than
most cheap graphics cards.... not that I don't hope it will last for many
years.

Back in the days when we were running Windows 3.1 I'm sure I read
an article ....

This is getting somewhat off-topic....

David

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 04-10-03 16:58:54 GMT Daylight Time,
douglas@dsdeans.freeserve.co.uk writes:

I think Ian's point is a fair one. Although this card gets a tremendous
write up it is extremely cheap by comparison with others. I would not like
to have to replace a full HRIT or LRIT receiver but this card is less than
most cheap graphics cards.... not that I don't hope it will last for many
years.

Douglas,

Indeed.
Who would have thought 18 months ago events would have turned out, from a
cost,
logistics and 'technical' sense, from the sublime to the ridiculous - or
rather that
should be the other way around.

And, I have several different makes of satellite TV receivers that run very
hot.