Satpy: adapted script

R. Alblas

FYI: I have adapted the set of MSG scripts:

  • Instead of choosing satellite you can choose the service (RSS, IODC, or full globe)
  • Options for area (default seviri_0deg, rss or iodc), source and destination location (default as was)
  • Just one script instead of 3 (or 4)

Reason: IMO the actual MSG satellite is not interesting, the service is. Also, services may move from one satellite to another now and then (IODC will be MSG2, MSG3 may stop RSS to take over normal service from MSG4 now and then).

With the adapted script you just choose the service and the right satellite will be taken.

If you want to process old data, which is maybe archived in another (non-'live') directory then you can use the -src option. All with just one script: MSGx.py.

See:

http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/satpy.html

Comments are welcome.

Regards,

Rob.

Ernst Lobsiger

Hi Rob,

that's the advantage of free and OS software: You can hack it to your needs.

It's true that you can end up with a bunch of scripts even for the same bird.

My ideas behind the Starter Kit 3.0 (yes it's just a starter) are the following:

Every script, even for one satellite, can produce thousands of different images.
You have a lot of things in the parameter section you can set (the main points
are certainly the area and composite) and even many things in the code below
e.g. POIs or color and tranparency of your coastlines or your receiver make.
I wanted a minimum of command line parameters to make it as KISS as possible.

Please note that there is 1 tmp dir per satellite and 1 cache dir per GEO sat.
This means you cannot start 2 imaging processes of the same sat concurrently.
When I developed the Kit I used it mostly in an interactive way at the prompt.

Meanwhile I have automated everything with cron. Meteosat-10 (RSS) makes 4
webm animations (Lapalma dust, Lapalma ash, UK overview and Europe overview).
This means I have to produce 4 frames every 5 minutes. Cron starts my scripts
with a snipplet of BASH that uses flock() and again with 1 FD per satellite.

I attach a crontab below. Next will be to automate up to 9 MSLP overlays.
I have the well known UKMO (Bracknell), 4 DWD and 4 NOAA OPC MSLP charts.
To do something like that with a Windows 10 scheduler is Mission Impossible 2.0.